US CCTV shows airport staff allegedly stealing from bags

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2023, 12:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CCTV footage from a US airport has emerged that appears to show airport staff allegedly stealing from passengers' bags. The footage, which was obtained by a local news outlet, shows a baggage handler opening a suitcase and removing several items. The handler then appears to put the items in his own bag.

The footage has sparked outrage among passengers and airport officials. The airport has launched an investigation into the incident and has said that any staff members found to be involved will be disciplined.

This is not the first time that there have been allegations of airport staff stealing from passengers' bags. In 2018, a similar incident occurred at an airport in the UK. In that case, a baggage handler was caught on CCTV stealing a laptop from a passenger's suitcase.
Old Sep 15th, 2023, 10:57 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Why is anyone surprised? It would be more surprising if it didn't happen.

Old Sep 16th, 2023, 07:52 AM

They were two TSA agents working together in the inspection area in security.

Both were charged though charges against one were dropped pending he fulfill certain requirements. I have no idea what that means but to me just fire him. What more do you want?

Charges against the other guy are pending.

I try to be super aware of what I put in my bags that go into those bins so I get all of it back.

Old Sep 16th, 2023, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by MmePerdu
Why is anyone surprised? It would be more surprising if it didn't happen.
Just a one-and-done poster. Some unnamed airport in US. A reference to some local outlet of some kind, maybe TV do you think?. Oh my, it happened before? Yeah, 5 years ago in UK. This just feels like a bot generated the post using chatgpt or sumpin
Old Sep 16th, 2023, 02:18 PM

I don't know anything about the poster but this was on several news sites. It was in Miami.
It is a wakeup call to make sure you put valuables in an interior zipped pocket, before you get to security.
Don't let them watch where you throw it in when you are in line.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...o/70861581007/
Old Sep 17th, 2023, 10:52 AM

The OP wrote that the video:
>> shows a baggage handler opening a suitcase and removing several items.

The usatoday story was about TSA personnel at the security checkpoint and not baggage handlers and not the TSA who inspect luggage (checked or carryon).

They were stealing from the bins. I am more concerned about fellow passengers stealing from the bins rather than the TSA.

One time, I was told to put my wallet in the bin and I refused. Must have been to or from Las Vegas because it was stuffed with cash. I held the wallet in my hands over my head in the naked picture machine. The TSA agent was unhappy about having to inspect my wallet manually.

IDK what his issue was with doing that wallet inspection, maybe an ick factor or maybe it was that it took too much time. He did have to go out of his way to do it but it only took 5 seconds, maybe.
Old Sep 17th, 2023, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by mrwunrfl
... . I am more concerned about fellow passengers stealing from the bins rather than the TSA.

^ Yes, this. ^

When the TSA agent wants to do two pat downs and goes on about how we can go to a private room and on and on what and how they will do it, I just want to snap "Can we just get on with it? My stuff is setting over there with no one watching it!" But I don't.

Last edited by Trophywife007; Sep 17th, 2023 at 05:21 PM.
Old Sep 17th, 2023, 08:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The OP is likely a one hit wonder . . . But then his entire posts is incorrect.

The whole thing is either made up or possibly Chatgpt . . .

Old Sep 18th, 2023, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by mrwunrfl
The OP wrote that the video:
>> shows a baggage handler opening a suitcase and removing several items.

The usatoday story was about TSA personnel at the security checkpoint and not baggage handlers and not the TSA who inspect luggage (checked or carryon).

They were stealing from the bins. I am more concerned about fellow passengers stealing from the bins rather than the TSA.

One time, I was told to put my wallet in the bin and I refused. Must have been to or from Las Vegas because it was stuffed with cash. I held the wallet in my hands over my head in the naked picture machine. The TSA agent was unhappy about having to inspect my wallet manually.

IDK what his issue was with doing that wallet inspection, maybe an ick factor or maybe it was that it took too much time. He did have to go out of his way to do it but it only took 5 seconds, maybe.
Maybe his issue was he thought his authority was being challenged.

In any case, I think, holding your wallet, was basically a non-issue. Or at least should’ve been.

I recall one time there was a TSA agent who looked to be about at least 50 or 60 pounds overweight telling everybody they have to hurry up like he was some sort of a gym coach. Well, I had a bite my tongue.

Last edited by jacketwatch; Sep 18th, 2023 at 06:51 AM.
Old Sep 25th, 2023, 09:13 AM

When DH and I have to dump our stuff in the bins, I always try to go through security first to get our stuff before someone else does. He has left his wallet behind before, but his kind wheelchair attendant saw that and got it back to him. I stuff any valuables down to the bottom of the bag and stick a long scarf on top, just as a delaying tactic, and just have the liquids bag at the top to pull out when needed.