Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Would you prefer Airbus, 767 or MD11 for flight and FRA, CDG or JFK for connection?

Search

Would you prefer Airbus, 767 or MD11 for flight and FRA, CDG or JFK for connection?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying from ATL to Helsinki in coach. Looks like choices for the long haul will probably be Lufthansa Airus to Frankfurt or Delta 767 via CDG. Which would you prefer for plane and connecting airport?

A Finnair flight from JFK to HEL on an MD11 may be a possibility, but right now its much more expensive. I'd prefer to land at my final destination after an overnight flight, but may have to connect in Europe to stay in budget.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 12:53 PM
sandi

I make my decision based on price, departure/arrival times and connection layover time and general on-time performance. Also upgradeable coast fares to business.

All three pieces of equipment you mention are wide-bodies so to me they're all the same. Food service, crew, movies, etc. make no difference - I usually sleep most of flight.

I've flown coach, business and first - short flights and very very long flights - no matter. A plane is a means of getting from point-A to point-B. My only concern is that we take off and land.

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:36 PM

I agree. There's other factors more important than the equipment.

Besides, a given aircraft as configured for one airline can differ from the configuration as flown by a competitor. Not every 767 or 737 will have the same number of seats, same distance between seats, etc. as the same basic aircraft flown by another airline.

I saw some details on this maybe 6 months ago -- pretty sure it was in the final issue of Consumer Reports Travel Letter (they ceased publication).

You might find something about this on the web, not sure.

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 12:03 AM

I agree not much difference, Coach on long haul 767s is 2x3x2 and the Airbus is 2x4x2 so they are both good. I do not like the 2x5x2 arrangement on many MD-11s.
I think from ATL the Lufthansa is probably your best option, it will be overnight and saves changing at another place like JFK.
I would say FRA is easier than CDG, also more flights to Helsinki from FRA just in case you get any delay.

Do KLM fly into ATL? That could be another option. Personally I would take the Lufthansa.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 04:05 AM
sandi

tiogringo -

I really miss the Consumer Reports Travel Letter, but as to your reference to the info they provide re seat configs, unfortunatley, they've not done the foreign carriers. So while you might find Delta, you won't find Lufthansa or Finnair.

Old Sep 24th, 2003, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the good info about more flight connections through FRA. I've used FRA as a destination, but never for connections.

I read some discouraging comments about connections and luggage through CDG on this board, although it offers the most flights options from ATL (Delta).

I was thinking the JFK option would be nice just to get the connection out of the way before the overnight. I don't know about you guys, but after that much time in coach at night on a plane, I'd rather be at my destination than have to get on another flight. My husband, the logistics guy, always warns me to take the long leg first to get as close to destination as possible.

I'll have to go coach this time as someone else is picking up the tab and won't pay the high coach upgradable fare and exact flight times won't be a major concern--I'll basically expect a travel day in each direction. Somehow when I'm going to a meeting I'm not so concerned about maximizing my Europe time as I am when vacationing Would just rather it went smoothly.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 12:53 AM

I would pick FRA over CDG as CDG is pretty run-down (unless you are using the new terminal) and there isn't much to do there. Also, as you noted, it doesn't have a sterling reputation for luggage transfers, etc.
FRA can be a zoo, but there is more to do. Do any of your possible Lufthansa flights go to Dusseldorf instead of Frankfurt? Dusseldorf is a *much* nicer airport. A little closer to Helsinki, too.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

No Dusseldorf option. If I'm willing to mix a bunch of airlines, I could possibly use AMS or Munich if price equivalent. I tend to try to stick with one airline or at least a codeshare if possible, thinking I'll get better service if delay/connection problem and more likely luggage will make the connection too.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thought you might want to hear. A colleague of mine has made this trip several times and is trying Lufthansa and SAS via FRA this time. I'm not sure of all the details, but the way he tells it, last time through CDG security stopped him (I'm not sure who/where) to search carryon luggage in a room, couldn't get it all stuffed back in so wrapped with tape with his clothes hanging out; meanwhile someone took his passport and EU residency permit to another room. When finished with bag he had to wait for documents, then he missed his connecting flight. Sounds a little strange, but he's going a different route.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 03:16 PM

Interesting, actually the 'only time' in Europe ever had any delays due Immigration /authorities has been 2 times, once at Paris CDG and the other at Paris ORY. If your friend had a dark or even medium sun-tan then the people can 'pick you out'. They were very very rude to my Asian wife when we went there once although visa was perfect and we were just sightseeing, they were thoroughly inpolite which spoiled our whole trip to France, we left ealier than planned and went down to Italy where they were thoroughly 'charming'.