US Air

Jan 7th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

US Air

Have tickets PHL to LGW in 2 weeks One is a FF one paid by credit card. Hopefully they will still be flying. Is anyone putting other flights on hold just in case? This will be a quick trip and I would hate to lose a lot of time waiting for standby flights. We can cancel the hotel and I suppose lose money on play tickets if we don't go. Jst keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the planes keep flying.
Jan 7th, 2005, 11:09 AM

If misery (or anxiety) loves company, you have plenty of either. Many of us are sitting with either FF tickets or paid tickets and watching the news. My guess is that USAir will stumble along for weeks or a few months and then disappear - but I am no more informed than any other guesser.
Jan 7th, 2005, 05:29 PM

Personally, I'm getting close to the freaking out stage. We have tix (booked in May of last year) to the BVI via STT and we are due to travel April 7 this year. If they are going to fold, I wish they'd go quickly - then I could bite the bullet and do something about it. Right now, we're just sitting and wondering if I should book other tix (at 2-3 times the price) or wait some more and see. We have deposits on hotels in the BVI which will become non-refundable in 19 days. Eeeekkk!!!!

Plus - who the heck wants to see a lovely vacation go down the tubes at the last minute (we only do this once a year, so this would be a HUGE disappointment for us).

EEeeekkkk Again.

I can't figure out a way to hedge our bets at all.

Yep - lots of misery looking for company here on this subject.

Linda
Jan 8th, 2005, 07:56 AM

For what it's worth, the following quote is from an article in yesterday's San Jose Mercury News business section, authored by an Associated Press reporter: ...(Thursday) a bankruptcy judge canceled a collective bargaining agreement between US Airways and its machinists union, providing hundreds of millions of dollars in annual savings that the airline says will prevent the need for quick liquidation."

Coincidentally, as I type this, I'm on hold on the telephone with USAir, trying to book an international travel award. I began trying to book this award late last night by telephone, and decided to hold, despite the recording saying the wait was 26 minutes. After stupidly waiting over an hour, I finally hung up. Tried earlier this morning and was told the wait would again be 26 minutes, so I hung up immediately. Tried again as I started this post and the wait is now 18 minutes. I'm wondering if their phone reservations people went the way of their baggage handlers and there's no one there at all to answer the phone. Do you realize how many times I've heard their recording? This is a reservation I cannot make on-line, unfortunately.

Still holding...it's only been 16 minutes.

Jan 8th, 2005, 10:33 AM

To Betsy - I bet you are really enjoying the bad music you get to hear on the phone as well. We have sometimes called airlines at really bizarre times (like 3 AM) and had better luck.
Jan 8th, 2005, 11:00 AM

Any luck, Betsy? I expect almost all of their new business is Award travel.

Hard to imagine anyone is still _purchasing_ tickets on US Air.

Keith
Jan 8th, 2005, 12:03 PM

Keith - you would not believe the number of people I talk to - people who fly once or twice a year - who have absolutely no idea USAir is in any kind of trouble.
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:09 PM

Here's an update on my USAirways travel plans. At this point I have two itineraries on a three-day hold for possible ticketing. When I finally got through to a ticket agent, she was delightful. I noted how many minutes I was on hold, but it's too painful to go back to calculate the total . At times I waited 20+ minutes and at other times fewer than ten minutes. Their recording estimates the number of minutes you need to wait. I found that if the wait was too long, hanging up and immediately redialing often resulted in a much shorter wait. I'm guessing the calls are routed to different centers; the rep I spoke with was in Pittsburgh.

I would appreciate any feedback you could offer on the two itineraries. Outbound is from SF to Florence, Italy. The flight is on Lufthansa from SF, a plane change in Munich, to Florence (over the alps in a turboprop flown by Air Augsburg--gulp), landing at 9:30 pm in Florence. Return is on Lufthansa from Rome, with a plane change in Frankfurt, and out of Frankfurt on United. I have three different locator numbers, one for each airline. The outbound flight is two days prior to the date I wanted, as nothing else is available.

The other itinerary is US Airways all the way through (one locator number), from SF, a plane change in Philadelphia, and into Rome in the early morning. I'd take the 90-minute train trip from Termini in Rome to Florence, arriving there in the early afternoon. Return is Rome to SF through Philadelphia. I've done this flight several times, so it's familiar. What are your thoughts regarding these two itineraries? If USAirways liquidates before these flights (April/May), I'd probably be better off booking the Lufthansa/United itinerary. If USAir is still flying, the second itinerary seems less complicated. Do you think the less complicated itinerary it's worth the chance that the airline will still be flying? What would you do in my situation? Should I post my request for input as a new thread? Thanks, all!
Jan 9th, 2005, 08:42 PM

I'd take the LH/UA itinerary for these reasons:

- The outbound is more direct. You arrive late in Florence, but that's mainly because you depart SFO late in the day. Your wait in MUC is short, and you arrive into Florence directly. If you fly into FCO, you need to take a train into Rome, and then transfer to another train. I don't think there's a direct train service between FCO and Florence.

- If USAirways folded by then, LH/UA may not honor your tickets anyways, so you're still going to be stuck. However, if USAirways is still operating, you'll be okay, even if USAirways have to cut back flights or have major operation disruption due to strikes.

- On the way back, you're still talking about 2 flights from Rome to SF. Therefore, I don't see how less complicated the USAirways itinerary is going to be.

Of course, there are other factors. LH uses 340 for SFO-MUC, and unless they put a new 340-600 on this flight, you'll not have individual screens. UA uses 744 for FRA-SFO, and no individual screens in coach for these, though if you have elite status on UA/US, you may get the Economy + seats with more legroom. On the other hand, you already know that USAirway's 330 PHL-FCO are new with decent legroom and individual screens.
Jan 10th, 2005, 10:03 AM

Betsy,
If I understand your post correctly, on the outbound you have a choice between SFO-MUC-FLR or SFO-PHL-FCO and then a train to Florence. I don't see how 2 flights + a train could be considered less complicated than 2 flights directly into Florence, but perhaps there's something I'm missing here. Returning is about the same with both itineraries offering 1 connection. I would book the first, more direct routing and hope that there's a chance LH/UA will honor the tickets in case US liquidates.
Jan 10th, 2005, 07:10 PM

Thanks for your comments, rkkwan and Patty. Based on your posts I'll probably take the Lufthansa option over the USAirways route. Patty, the "more complicated" aspects of the LH routing are the required combo of paper tickets and e-tickets and the late arrival in Florence. I'm staying in a convent there which has an 11 pm curfew, so if I'm delayed enroute, that could cause problems. And, USAirways' new 330 is tempting.....