Upgrading just one leg of a trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope this isn't a really stupid question ...

I am flying from SJC to MAD next month. I am on NWA, with three legs to the journey. The final leg is from AMS to MAD.

My sister, with whom I will be traveling in Spain, will be flying from SEA to MAD, and we will be on the same connection from AMS to MAD (final leg).

She is using NWA miles to upgrade to Business the entire way, but I do not have NWA miles, and my partner miles were not accepted for the upgrade, so I am in economy.

I have no seat assignment from AMS to MAD - that leg will be on KLM - and I am wondering if during the layover in AMS, I can possibly upgrade to Business so I can sit with my sister.

Is it possible to upgrade a single leg of a journey? What are the odds of success? I am just curious, as regardless of the outcome obviously I will continue the flight to MAD in economy as booked ... but it would be great to sit with my sis, since it would be nice to share as much of this European trip together as possible..
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 11:55 AM

Not a stupid question at all.
Anything is possible, and you have nothing to lose by asking. It would probably help if your sister is present when you make the request - if you get lucky, they may even do a complimentary upgrade for that short flight (though I would not count on it).
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:15 PM

The only difference between KLM Europe Select and economy is a seat towards the front of the aircraft and slightly better catering. Even if you could upgrade, it's not really worth it unless it's free. Or maybe your sister can move back a few rows and sit you with.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Patty ... I was wondering about that, too. We flew KLM to Athens last year, with a stopover in AMS, and because of a flight delay which caused us a lengthy layover we were "upgraded" on the flight from AMS to ATH --- only to find exactly what you said was true.

I just wasn't sure if that was the case with all the similar-distance KLM flights in Europe.

I think my sister can join me in the back ... unless they want to give me a complimentary "upgrade."
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM

KLM Europe Select is pretty pathetic. Once your sister sees that it is the same seat as in the back, I'm sure she will be more than happy to switch with the person next to you.

I've done this a few times. I'll never forget how excited this one guy got about it. It struck me as odd considering there is really not much difference other than where they draw the curtain.

I would think your odds of finagling an upgrade for yourself are much lower. The KLM motto is "that is not possible" and they really do play by the rules, particularly at AMS.