Upgrade - pregnant.

Search

Upgrade - pregnant.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrade - pregnant.

What is the likelihood that an airline would offer an upgrade to a pregnant woman ?
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 07:05 AM

Because ... ?

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

self explanatory no ?
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 08:29 AM

Not really. I'm really tall, should I automatically assume I would get an upgrade?
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

It is a simple question .... i was asking for information, not smart comments.
The only assumption made is your own MikeT, i have not suggested an upgrade is expected, i was wondering how regularly it happens, if at all.
If you can't say anything helpful, say nothing at all.
I'll take the question elsewhere if nobody here can answer intelligently...
Thanks
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 08:59 AM

I think your chances of an upgrade depend on a lot of things, including the number of elite passengers are on the plane, how crowded the plane is, how much sympathy the gate agent has, etc.

Upgrades are usually given first to elite passengers. They are then doled out pretty much at the whim of the gate agent. Since everyone seems to believe they should be considered for an upgrade, they are going to be asked a lot and there may not be any left once you make your request.

You should not expect an upgrade and assume you aren't getting one. If you are able to get one, you should view it as a gift and be grateful. If your happiness or comfort are going to be controlled by getting an upgrade, then you should probably make other plans.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 09:43 AM
P_M

It is hard to get free upgrades unless you are very much a frequent flyer with that airline, but it certainly never hurts to ask. The worst that will happen is they will say no. Good luck.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 11:34 AM
jasper

leisa, like another other product...you can't get it unless you pay for it. it certainly doesn't happen regularly. enjoy your trip.

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 01:03 PM

If the airlines started giving upgrades to pregnant woman, a lot of women would be strapping on fake pregnant padding.

Keith
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 01:19 PM
P_M

That's a great idea, Keith, I never thought of that strategy for an upgrade. Of course, you don't want to look too pregnant otherwise they might not let you on the plane.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 03:49 PM

Depends on airline and flight. My husband has never level up elite status on 3 airlines - he is supposed to get free upgrades when available and there are often no first class seats available for him.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 04:40 PM

I think the most you can hope for is a seatbelt extender.

You should check with the airline about their policy for pregnant passengers. Some require a statement from your doctor that you are fit to fly. I don't know if any will refuse boarding if you are very near the delivery date; Continental says they won't deny boarding unless signs of labor are present, but they do want a statement from your doctor.

Most airlines will bump people from bulkhead seats if a disabled passenger needs that space; somehow I had never thought of being pregnant as a disability, but I guess you could try that route.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 03:48 AM

When I flew recently the airline said that with a doctor's note they would try and give me a seat with extra legroom if there was one available when I checked in.

Old Oct 15th, 2004, 06:54 PM

An obese person was recently denied boarding according to the news because he would not purchase two seats and could not fit into one. If this person found out a pregnant person was offered a free upgrade, I wonder how he would feel? The airlines are getting very stingy with upgrades based on compassion- I don't think I would ask for one. PS- I don't ask for them and I have been working in the travel industry for over 13 years.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 04:07 PM

Lately I have found that the check in crew have less and less freedom to hand provide upgrades. The airlines are insisting that they start with platinum level frequent flyers. This is how it should be...you reward your good customers first.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 12:13 AM

All the major US based airlines are in financial trouble these days.

They are trying to squeeze every penny out of evry possible situation as proven by AA lately. Instituting a $250 co-pay on mileage upgrades on the lowest economy fares is one way, a $5-10 charge for actually talking to one of their phone/airport agents to reserve or change a reservation, etc...etc...

So why would they allow their TAs or GAs to give out free upgrades when they collect $250 PLUS the miles from anybody that is flying on low economy fares and requests an upgrade?

I'm using AA as an example, but that is pretty much true with all the US based airlines. Their TAs or GAs are prohibited to give out free upgrades for no reason, on international flights under the threat of loosing their job. It stil happens on a rare occasion, but believe me there is a good reason for it (as the TAs or GAs have to explan every operational upgrade to their bosses), and it's not just because you were dressed nice or asked nice or you are on a honeymoon or pregnant or.......

Old Oct 17th, 2004, 07:02 AM

And for Continental:

CO gives out automatic upgrades on domestic routes to their Elite members. Platinums (highest level) as far out as 72 hours. Gold/Silver sometimes 72 hours, more usually 24 or 3 hours prior to take off. So, by the time you get to airport to check-in, all the FC seats should have been gone already.

As for international routes with BusinessFirst service, they will not give out upgrades for most reasons. They'd rather fly the front cabin empty than giving out upgrades.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 08:36 AM

AA has the same domestic policy.

Executive Platinums get free domestic upgrades at 100 hours before flights.

Platinums and Golds get upgraded using their upgrade stickers (earned or bought) at 72 and 24 hours.

In the last year I have only been on maybe 1 or 2 domestic segments with still some F seats empty during flight. The other 20-25 segments? Full.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Twelve years ago I flew 5 months pregnant from NJ to Hawaii with a one year old on my lap the entire flight. We didn't even get an extra free seat for our then young daughter. The flight was full. I can sympathize with you and know that it is uncomfortable to travel while pregnant. Hope for a kind gate agent and ask. You may want to see if you can pay a small upgrade fee at the gate for an available seat? Good luck.
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 01:20 PM
GoTravel

Consider your chances to be zero.

Whatever empty FC seats are being sold at the gates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -