Unsafe planes in Africa??

Jul 21st, 2012, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Unsafe planes in Africa??

My friend is flying to Uganda. She has read that it is dangerous because of unsafe planes. Please advise she is flying out of Chicago
Jul 21st, 2012, 01:50 PM

Unless Chicago has moved to "Africa" (sic) since this morning then the aircraft will have to conform to US rules.
Jul 21st, 2012, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

I understand that. But what about when My friend changes planes in another country. Why are some forums saying Africa planes ate unsafe
Jul 21st, 2012, 04:26 PM

What airline is she flying? British Airways, KLM, South African Airways, Emirates, Brussels Airlines, and Qatar Airways all fly to Entebbe Airport in Uganda. Those are all good, reliable airlines.

There are a few airlines based in African countries that are notoriously unsafe, but they are not allowed to fly to the U.S. or the European Union. I'd bet your friend is changing planes in Europe since there are no flights between Chicago and Uganda, and that she is on a well known airline.
Jul 21st, 2012, 04:36 PM

The smaller airlines in developing countries often has higher accident rate, but overall flying is probably less dangerous than a lot of activities there. But if worried, stick with the larger carriers. Quite a few of those in Africa, though none based in Uganda.
Aug 13th, 2012, 09:41 PM

Its safer to use the best reputed and well established bigger air companies and pay the extra than saving up on a couple of dollars with cheaper and riskier airlines

Search this Thread