United seating groups

Search

United seating groups

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
United seating groups

While flying on United by myself in an aisle seat, does anyone know which rows would get be in an earlier boarding group? I seem to end up in the last boarding group regardless of if I'm in the front of the plane (Economy Plus) or the back of the plane.

My main issue with this is that I want to ensure space for my carry on bag. I have had problems in the past getting space and having to gate check when in the last boarding group.

Thanks!
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 07:31 AM

It's not by row, it's by status and fare class. If you've got no status and paid a rock-bottom fare, you'll probably end up in the last group again.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Boarding generally goes like this:

* 1Ks, Global Services, First/Business class
* Premier Executive, Star Alliance Gold
* Seating 1: Premier, Star Silver, Purchased Premier Line/Boarding
* Seating 2: Window
* Seating 3: Middle
* Seating 4: Aisle

No guarantees on the overhead space. I boarded a flight last week when Prem Execs were called. I was seated in row 3 but had to put my bag way in the back of the plane...and was just about the last one off.

If you want a better shot at space and are not in Seating 1, I'd suggest booking a window seat.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 01:54 PM

Wow, ms_go, there must have been lots of premier execs and 1k-ers on that flight with you ...

I'm glad I'm premier exec so I can (usually) get space above my seat. I don't carry on that much, thank goodness. I always check my bags.

I appreciate the information on seating 2-3-4. I had no idea that is how they are organized! Thanks for that info!
Carol
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 02:16 PM

Carol, from a few boarding passes I saw, I suspect what really happened in that situation was the agent (at RDU) called the seating areas correctly but was letting everyone board. Some agents go by the book, and some don't.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 09:41 AM

I got cha... I just found it hard to believe that overhead space was already mostly taken.

I've been on flts where those who sit in the back, but board in the early groups, shove their carryons into the bins at the front of the plane. BIN HOGS!!! Shame on them (surely NONE of them are here on fodors....lol)
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 11:05 AM

I'm not a "frequent" United flyer, but do fly them a couple times per year and like is stated above, if you have no status with the airline and book an aisle seat, you will be in seating area 4. If having overhead space is of parmount importance, you have a better chance if you book a window. Or aternatively, pay extra for Premier Line and you will be in group 1.