mrwnrfl.. upgrade chances?

Jan 27th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

mrwnrfl.. upgrade chances?

Hey, Bill, I now have my SYD ticket (from ORD of course). I purchased an upgradeable ticket using 2 of my SWUs. Flying on Mar 8, leaving LAX about 10:20pm. Wondering what my chance of upgrade on that flt might be. I've already been upgraded from ORD to LAX so that one is a sure thing.
Thanks! (wish I knew how you check all that stuff... you are truly accurate, as I found out on my BKK trip in Dec/Jan!!!)
Carol
Jan 29th, 2010, 03:05 AM

Carol, I was about to suggest that you give up hope for the ug for BKK-NRT!

I will say that I think your chances are very good. This based on very little info.

First thing is that when I checked for award availability the "flight info" shows C9,D1,Z0 - that is at least 9 full fare biz class seats available and 1 discounted biz class seat.

Next, just try searching for a biz class ticket for your day of travel. Here the "flight info" says C9,D9,Z9 (interesting that it is different). But more importantly you can view the seats that are available.

There are 52 seats in the C cabin and only 21 are occupied. They will sell some more seats but some will also cancel or no-show.

There is also a ton of seats in economy plus and regular economy which can't be a bad thing for you.
Jan 29th, 2010, 03:21 AM

I must confess. I did tell you that there were two seats available on that flight. It turned out that you and another pax got upgrades and you were amazed that I knew that two seats were available.

What I had posted, though, was that there were 2 seats available on the plane. Economy was sold out. Business class was sold out. The two seats that were available were in first class. The only thing you could BUY for that Jan. flight was in first! Even then, you got the upgrade.
Jan 29th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Yep, there were two seats offered in biz and I got one. I was one happy camper!!

Sounds like my chances of upgrading to SYD look very good. I hope so, since I'd love to sleep. We arrive in SYD around 8 in the morning (used to be more like 6... first plane to land!!) but it's nice to have a little bit of energy when I land, since my room probably will not be ready for me right away.

Appreciate your checking it out for me. Thanks again!

Carol

Oh, while I've got your attention.... the layover between my LAX arrival and departure is about 7 hours, roughly. I'm thinking about going to one of the hotels near the airport but I would also consider renting a car and running up to Santa Monica. Thoughts?
Jan 30th, 2010, 11:22 AM

I don't see the point of a hotel since you won't want to sleep. You could read, browse the web, watch TV - but you could do that in the Red Carpet Club. The U.S. board could give you some ideas.
Jan 30th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

I have friends in the LA area that I could contact... maybe have dinner...? I wasn't thinking of the hotel for sleep, just a nice evening meal and maybe a rooftop view? Free wifi?
Jan 31st, 2010, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

It would appear that the Radisson LAX has a rooftop bar/lounge of some sort?