Search

United Bus. Class LAX-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
United Bus. Class LAX-LHR

Need info from anyone who has recently flown
this route (flights 934/935). Found a good discounted bus. class rate for next spring but research shows that United does not have fully flat bed/seats like BA, Virgin and Air New Zealand on this route. However, UA price is much better. Are seats comfortable? Is this a good business class service, especially with cutbacks due to bankruptcy? Any recent info/personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. Husband needs to be comfortable due to back surgery.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 10:12 AM

I haven't been on this specific route, but I have flown a number of times on the ORD-LHR route, also with the 777.

The business class seats are great, but your are right: They do not fold down 180 degress. I would estimate them to be 155 degrees. (Just drew a quick diagram and some simple math!)

The seat itself is comparable to a Lazy Boy. The service has been fine, food good, and comfortable enough to sleep most of the flight.

My only concern - and only you can answer this - how important is it that the seat be FLAT, given your husband's back surgery?
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you CubFanAlways for your response. Sorry about the recent White
Sox win, but it has been over 80 years!
I was actually born in Chicago, so I have a modest interest in this! The completely flat
bed is not so critical as whether the UA seats are comfortable and roomy enough to
sleep in. Also, was the standard ot service
pretty good e.b. flight attendant attitude, food
service, etc. United is still in bankruptcy but I am told that they are trying to make international routes competitive. You are right that the aircraft (777) is the same, and that gives me a point of reference.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 06:26 PM

Ah, well. Got to give the Sox their due credit. Love the Cubs, but not anti-Sox.

Back to business: The seats are roomy and comfortable enough for sleeping. They lean back far enough and there is a footrest as well. I haven't noticed much difference at all in service with them being in bankruptcy, at least not in business class. I wouldn't worry about that.

I haven't had a problem with attitude. Of course, that depends upon the individual.

You got me thinking of going to London again!
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 07:43 AM

Like CubFan, I fly from ORD (and am also a Cubs fan), so I can't comment on that route. But I have taken a number of flights in UA int'l business on the 777 in the last six years (seats have changed little, if at all, during that time), most recently a couple of months ago. Comfort is subjective, but I've always found the seats to be fine for sitting and sleeping - good pitch, pretty good recline and adjustable lumbar support. On my most recent flight, I did think that the seat was showing its age a bit - fabric (not terrible, but a little worn) and I had to wrestle with my footrest a few times. I've heard talk of new b/c seats after UA emerges from bankruptcy.

BTW, if you haven't come across this in your reserach, the UA b/c look like this:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1935,00.html

My only recent point of comparison with one of the b/c 'flat beds' is on Lufthansa, which recently introduced new seats that go flat but at a bit of an incline. It was nice, but IMHO, not so much nicer that I would be willing to pay a significant premium for it. I thought the only significant difference between UA and LH was the inflight entertainment; UA's might be lagging a bit behind some others at this point.

As far as crew attitudes, service, etc., this of course can vary day to day. FWIW, I've never had a bad crew experience in international business on United - before or after bankruptcy. I have experienced a few lackluster domestic crews this year. Food was not quite on par with a few years ago, but I didn't think LH had very good food in b/c either.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 08:26 AM

The last time I flew Chicago to Paris on UA in a 777, the service was really lacking. I woke halfway there, the lights were all dimmed and no FA in sight. I was terribly thirsty but there was no water in sight. Also, had a very, very nasty FA also on UA, business class SFO/NRT. I don't fly UA anymore.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 01:19 PM
tmh

"I woke halfway there, the lights were all dimmed and no FA in sight."

This is standard procedure on all airlines not just UA to dim the lights while people try to sleep. Since most are sleeping, FAs don't troll the aisles to see who woke up - they assume you'll use your call button.