"Under the table" upgrade to Business Class

Jun 24th, 2001, 08:35 PM
Jo Bloggs

"Under the table" upgrade to Business Class

My wife and I were recently catching a flight from Los Angeles to Hong Kong (and then home to Australia) on Cathay Pacific. The check-in clerk commented on the length of the flight and asked us if we wanted to upgrade to Business Class.

We said we'd love to but couldn't afford the extra cost. He asked us what it was worth to us and said he'd see what he could do.

At first we thought he was getting passengers to tender for an upgrade. We didn't really commit to a price but he said to leave it with him.

It wasn't until the deal was done that I realised the US$100 he suggested we pay was going straight into his pocket.

On one level I didn't mind as we had a very cheap upgrade for an otherwise long and uncomfortable flight. However, on another level it does bother me a little that he abused his power like that. Obviously he had the power to upgrade us at no cost as the company didn't see any of the money.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is this activity common-place?

Jul 2nd, 2001, 02:51 PM
Linda

Have you reported the agent to the airline?

Jul 3rd, 2001, 09:05 AM
cousin oliver

Let me get this straight. You accepted the upgrade knowing what was going on but didn't say anything and now you want to pull out the morality card? Next time if you're offered an upgrade like that, tell the res/gate agent no and leave it at that. You can't make a deal with the devil and then complain about it later. You got something and so did he; even if it was under the table. JMO.

Jul 6th, 2001, 06:19 PM
s!

I don't think this is very common. I understand that you might feel a little guilty now...but you didn't feel bad enough to sit in coach when you saw the agent slipping the 100 bucks in his pocket. Just forget about and refrain from such behavior in the future.

Jul 16th, 2001, 12:56 PM
xxx

Bloggs doesn't feel guily! He's just pissed that he had to pay 100 bucks. I think you should be grateful for what you got and shut up about it.

Jul 17th, 2001, 05:53 AM
xxx

Jo Bloggs...don't feel guilty...you worked the system and won...be happy.

Cousin Oliver...are you Paul Therault or are you just taking his place as this web sites resident butthole?

Jul 18th, 2001, 08:08 AM
cousin oliver

Would you feel better if I used xxx as my name? Sheesh, get a life.