Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Has anyone flown National and America West Airline?

Jul 10th, 2001, 12:42 PM
jack

I am trying to choose airline to fly between Philadelphia and Las Vegas. Since Philly's major airline - USAirways - is too expensive, I am debating between National and America West which cost the same. Any suggestions as to which one to choose as far as service?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 10th, 2001, 07:11 PM
Sharon

Hi Jack

I have never traveled on National but I have gone several times to Vegas on America West and I have never had any problems with them. Vegas is one of their hubs and in my experiance the flights always went on time. Have fun and good luck in Vegas!

Sharon

Jul 11th, 2001, 09:41 AM
barbara

Went to Vegas on AW last October. Flights BOTH directions were cancelled and the alternative flights were ALL late but several(up to 5) hours. I've never had a worse experience flying. Also flew to Vegas in April on Midwest. Both direct flights were perfect. Which would I recommend????

Jul 11th, 2001, 03:11 PM
AW Sucks

Speaking from ample personal experience, I avoid them like the plague if there is another reasonable, safe alternative. You would be wise to have a backup plan. In some instances I could have rented a car and driven to my destination then AWA ultimately ended up getting me there. Good luck.

Airline Quality Rating 2000
U.S. Domestic Airlines (per ABC News)
1. Southwest Airlines
2. Continental Airlines
3. Delta Air Lines
4. Northwest Airlines
5. Alaska Airlines
6. U.S. Airways
7. American Airlines
8. America West Airlines
9. TWA
10. United Airlines

Jul 12th, 2001, 07:59 AM
sammy6toes

Beware. National filed bankruptcy last year and now have until 7/31 to be bailed out. All flights until then are operating; after that who nows?

Jul 24th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Gail

I have flown both National and America WEst in the last 6 months and National is by far the superior carrier. Spanking new planes with leather seats, fresh baked cookies on board. Their fares are low and always include a free Las Vegas stopover and their mileage program returns 10 percent of the air ticket price as a discount on future travel, an incentive that can be used right away.

Jul 24th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Joan Tyner

I would go with America West. I fly them to Phoenix every spring and have had nothing but a pleasant time. I'm still a little uneasy with the smaller carriers that always seem to be on the verge of going under.