Turning in a ticket for refund

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our friends just left LAX for MUC/AOI. I wish I knew if we could have bought 2 first class tickets so we could go past security and into the lounge to visit a little longer. They checked in 4 hours before the flight. If we had bought the 1st class tickets could we have then seen them off on the plane and then gone down and turn the tickets in for credit?
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 07:14 PM

It does not have to be a first class ticket. As long as it's fully refundable, it can be an economy ticket.

Yes, you could have done this. That's how ridiculous the security procedures are. You don't even have to buy a ticket to the same destination. All you need is a fully refundable, inexpensive coach ticket to anywhere the same airline or a different airline out of the same terminal flies.

It takes few days to get credit on your CC.

If you have membership in an airline club, you don't even have to go through the purchase/refund thing. Just "arrange" a meeting and you are in.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 11:06 PM

Pity the airlines don't charge an admin fee for such a waste of effort.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 04:14 AM

AAFF posted: "It does not have to be a first class ticket. As long as it's fully refundable, it can be an economy ticket."

While this is obviously true, the appeal of a refundable Int'l FC ticket (presuming that you have enough capacity on your CC) is that you then have access to that airline's Int'l FC lounge while you wait with your friends.
;-)

Best, Dave
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 08:14 AM
J62

If your goal is simply to get past security you don't even need to buy a ticket. All you need are some minimal computer or photocopier skills and a little forethought.

The minimum wage rent-a-cops checking ID's at security lines only look to see if the name on the piece of paper you hand them matches the name on the photo ID, and that the piece of paper has a flight departure time for later that day.

I'm not suggesting this is a legal practice, nor do I condone it, but it shows how ridiculous the security procedures are.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 09:39 AM

How long has it been since you've flown, J62? The mere "piece of paper" needs to be a boarding pass. Plus, more and more, it's a TSA agent checking IDs these days.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 12:50 PM
J62

Do you seriously believe print-at-home boarding passes are secure and can't be easily modified on a computer.

When is the last time you've seen the min wage TSA agent aka rent-a-cop at the head of the security line do anything besides look at the info on the boarding pass (piece of paper you printed out from your computer at home) and compared the name on the ID?

Did they scan the boarding pass on a computer to check against airline database? No.

Did they look up the traveler's name on a manifest? No.

If you really do believe the boarding pass vs name check amounts to high security then I have some waterfront property I'd be happy to sell you, and a bridge to get there too.

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 01:25 PM

Oh, I didn't say the system was ideal and as has been pointed out here, you need only buy a cheap but refundable ticket to get past security. I'm saying that it's the TSA doing more and more of the ID checking and seeming to give these things a lot of scrutiny. It's not the minimum-wage airport employees. I wouldn't chance using the suggested method of bypassing the system. That's all.