Trying to get to Ghana through Frequent Flier Miles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2004, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering how I could get to Ghana, West Africa after my college graduation via f.f. miles donated to me by family, friends, and kind souls? Is this a pipe dream? If I put an add in the city paper, could I expect some responses? Will airliners' rules and regulations prevent me from even receiving my ultimate goal? I would really like some constructive feedback! Thanks!

jason
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 03:21 AM
nkd

Jason, you need to be more specific and clear

From where would you be flying? FF with what airlines? How many miles do you have? When do you want to go and for how long?

<If I put an add in the city paper, could I expect some responses?> Huh?

<Will airliners' rules and regulations prevent me from even receiving my ultimate goal?> Huh?
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 09:49 AM

Many airlines have rules against combining miles from various sources - for example, my husband and I can not even combine our miles on the same airline. Recognized charities (like Make a Wish) can accept donated miles, but it is not going to work to collect a few thousand miles from any number of "kind souls".

Others here have asked about donations of money to go on a trip - unlikely anyone will be willing to help you recognize your goal - most people prefer to donate to recognized charities and not individuals, no matter how needy or well-intentioned.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 11:53 AM
sandi

One person - friend, family or kind soul - can donate ALL the miles needed to get you to Ghana, but a number of people cannot donate to meet the number of total miles needed. That one person's miles can be used to obtain FF Award ticket in your name.

More then that, you don't provide sufficient information as "nkd" indicated in that post to assist you further.

Old Nov 21st, 2004, 02:36 PM

British Airways have flights from London Heathrow to Accra (ACC) , KLM has flights from Amsterdam, and Alitalia from Milan.

BA belongs to the oneworld alliance, so you can use AA miles. 75K/150K/200K for coach/business/first. [The legend on AA's chart says Transpacific only, but I think that's an error.]

KLM and Alitalia belongs to the Skyteam alliance. Therefore you can use 90/120/180K Continental Onepass miles, 90/120K Northwest Worldperks, or 80/120/160K Delta Skymiles.

As others have said, you can't combine miles from various sources, but if someone has enough miles in his/her account, just have him/her call the airline and book it under your name.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 08:21 PM

Flights to Africa fill up very quickly. I doubt you will find FF seats available even if you had the miles required. I think you might do better to contact a travel agent who could check with considators. Are you going on a religous mission? If so, there are agencies who may be able to offer discounted fares. Good luck.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 03:42 AM

It's a pipe dream.