Trick to booking codeshare flights? KLM/CO and AF/DL

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my dilemma: I am trying to book a reasonably priced ticket for next May from NYC into Dublin and out of Athens. I would like to earn miles on either Delta or Continental but the best priced flights I have found are on Air France or KLM. I have played with a number of different search engines, and once or twice I have seen these these AF flights coded as Delta and the KLM flights coded as CO.

What is the trick for booking an AF or KLM flight but getting the flight code to appear as a code share?

Sorry if this is a daft question....I am finally trying to maximize my ff miles, so am a bit new to this.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 09:26 AM

No tricks needed, cruisinred: Since all four airlines you mention are part of the Sky Team Alliance, I think you'll be able to earn miles on any of them, without worrying about codeshares. I have certainly earned Delta miles on Air France and Continental, and I think KLM is another Delta partner.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 04:11 PM

physllis_stien is correct. You can earn DL Skymiles and CO Onepass miles for basically all AF and KL flights, except for the all-business flights with KL codes but are operated by Privateair).

However, if you care about CO EQMs when flying coach, then please note that most deep discount tickets on AF or DL only earns 50%. Most KL fares, however, continue to earn 100% CO EQMs.

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 01:10 AM

The most discounted tickets on KLM give even less....
on intercontinental flights only 25%, wihtin Europe nil......
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 04:28 AM

One can check mileage accural on the website of the airline you want to get miles on. For example, CO's website says that KL tickets book in all these classes earn 100% CO miles: Y, S, X, B, M, H, Q, V, K, L, T. In addition, Y, S, X earn 150% EQM. Basically all KL flights you can book on nwa.com qualify.

On DL's website, it says that all KL classes earn 100% miles except D, E, G, N, W which earn none. The MQM qualification is this: Y, S, X, B earns 150%; M, H, Q, V, K, L, T earns 100%.

There is no fare class on KL that earns 25% for DL or CO miles or EQM/MQM.