Where did Delta SkySaver tickets go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is Delta trying to do away with that level of FF redemptions? I can't find anything available for months for locations that used to have multiple openings.
Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 04:34 AM

Delta has made it more & more difficult to use FF miles without paying double miles. In my experience, Continental began this trend in the late 90s. Delta began a few years ago and even American has joined in recently. Cannot speak to the other airlines. These three are the ones I'm most familiar with.

They will still continue to offer the standard awards for low cost flights, flights that don't normally fill, or those with god awful connections. That way, they can still say they offer flights for as little as 25,000 miles.

I'm guessing one of the root causes is that it is so easy to accumulate miles these days. 20 years ago, you got miles by flying. Now, you get miles by using your credit card, buying flowers (or any number of things on the internet). The airlines need to reduce the number of FF miles on their books because it is such a liability. The only redeeming value with Delta is if you have an AMEX SkyMiles card. The always offer double miles for certain purchases and often have double miles promos.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 03:56 PM

I also was shocked recently by searching for skysaver tickets. It seemed flights with only 2 seats booked on the entire plane still had no skysaver. Makes me feel like I am not being treated well. But what to do.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 04:02 PM

Did any of you care to call Skymiles and have them check availability on CO and NW, plus other Skyteam and non-Skyteam partners?

Those awards are available to you, and DL awards are available to lots of other travelers in other programs. If you only look at availability on delta.com, then you're missing out the majority of award tickets available to you.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 10:29 AM

I checked nwa & continental's websites, as well. All airlines are getting very stingy on popular routes, offering almost no skysaver, or equivalent, awards.