Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Traveling on KLM from JFK to AMS to HEL - then changing to Finnair - connection time?

Search

Traveling on KLM from JFK to AMS to HEL - then changing to Finnair - connection time?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2023, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a US citizen traveling to Finland in Feb 2024. I am flying on Delta and their partner airline KLM from JFK to Helsinki via AMS (Amsterdam). I understand I will go through customs @ the Helsinki Airport (not the connection AMS). From Helsinki, I am changing airlines and taking a Finnair flight from Helsinki to Rovaniemi, Finland. My question is is 3 hours enough to pick up my checked bags, go through customs and add'l security and THEN checking into my Finnair flight, drop checked bags, go through security, etc. The Finnair rep tells me 3 hours is NOT enough time for all of that. Has anyone flown into HEL and made a flight transfer on a different carrier? I would love any intel into Helsinki Airport. Is it efficient? Are they well-staffed? It's seems small and everything in one building. Just trying to plan accordingly since KLM and Finnair will have no intel regarding my two different flights.
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 07:15 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I haven't switched airlines on separate tickets at HEL, but my experience with the airport is that it's a very efficient and easy place to navigate. Clearing customs will be a non-event; just walk through the nothing-to-declare doors (usually a green line or frame) and make your way to the Finnair check-in desks. It might be a bit of a walk, but I'd be surprised if the whole thing takes more than 45 minutes.

Old Dec 6th, 2023, 09:09 AM
J62

Originally Posted by bethmoore999
I'm a US citizen traveling to Finland in Feb 2024. I am flying on Delta and their partner airline KLM from JFK to Helsinki via AMS (Amsterdam). I understand I will go through customs @ the Helsinki Airport (not the connection AMS). From Helsinki, I am changing airlines and taking a Finnair flight from Helsinki to Rovaniemi, Finland. My question is is 3 hours enough to pick up my checked bags, go through customs and add'l security and THEN checking into my Finnair flight, drop checked bags, go through security, etc. The Finnair rep tells me 3 hours is NOT enough time for all of that. Has anyone flown into HEL and made a flight transfer on a different carrier? I would love any intel into Helsinki Airport. Is it efficient? Are they well-staffed? It's seems small and everything in one building. Just trying to plan accordingly since KLM and Finnair will have no intel regarding my two different flights.
I've never been to Helsinki, but I can't for the life of me grasp how 3 hours would not be enough time. You should check-in ahead of time, so that's would not be a factor. You won't go through additional security before dropping off bags, so strike that. The critical times you need to know are bag drop-off cutoff time for the Finnair flight, then the gate closing time.

You'll also want to know "what-if" you miss your Finnair flight - always have a plan B in mind.... It may not be a free plan B, but at least know your options.

Old Dec 6th, 2023, 09:40 AM
P_M

A few years ago I flew United to Houston then British Airways to London, on 2 separate tickets. I thought I would have to pick up my luggage and re-check it but thanks to jacketwatch I asked about an agreement to check all the way through. Turns out that was possible and it saved me a lot of time and trouble.

Your situation might be different but I would ask the question.

PS Thanks again jacketwatch.

Last edited by P_M; Dec 6th, 2023 at 09:45 AM.
Old Dec 7th, 2023, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Gardyloo ! I think as long as my checked bag from the arriving flight comes out quickly and the line to check in and drop off my bag for the new flight is not long, I should be okay!
Old Dec 12th, 2023, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by P_M
A few years ago I flew United to Houston then British Airways to London, on 2 separate tickets. I thought I would have to pick up my luggage and re-check it but thanks to jacketwatch I asked about an agreement to check all the way through. Turns out that was possible and it saved me a lot of time and trouble.

Your situation might be different but I would ask the question.

PS Thanks again jacketwatch.
Very nice of you to mention that!

Thank you 👍