Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

74 mins enough for connection: OAK - IAH and then IAH - AMS on Continental?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:09 AM
baybee510

Hi this is going to be my first overseas flight so I don't know much.

Flying from Oakland to Houston and then on to Amsterdam with 74 min connect time. Going with Continental and not checking baggage. Is this enough time? I see from their site that I'll be in Terminal E to get on the international flight, will my domestic flight be arriving in Terminal E too or near there?

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I donot know what terminal you will arrive.
Last october we transferred within 30 minutes in Houston to Co flight to Amsterdam, but also thanks to those little cars that offered us a ride.
Check the gate again upon arrival in Houton, we had a gate change, which we noticed just in time!!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 09:11 AM

You have plenty of time. Your OAK-IAH flight will arrive at any C or E gate, and the IAH-AMS can also depart from any C or E gate, though most likely E. The two terminals are interconnected. There's no security to reclear, and 74 minutes is plenty of time.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 09:17 AM
baybee510

Thanks!

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 09:55 AM

Agree with rkkwan. Should be no problem, especially if you're not checking luggage. You should be able to look on their website a few days in advance of your trip and they'll tell you whether your arrival terminal on OAK - IAH leg is C or E. If you need to transfer terminals, it's pretty easy.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Take a look here for IAH terminal map:

http://www.continental.com/travel/airport/maps/iah.asp

Print it out, or tear out the map in the Continental magazine on your first flight. Between certain C/E gates, it's better to take the TerminaLink train. And from one end in C, to another end of E can be a 15-minute walk if you don't use the train.

Also note that Continental airlines do not announce connecting gate information when a plane arrives at a hub airport. You need to check the monitors once you get off the plane. While you'll get your BP for the IAH-AMS flight in OAK, and it may have a gate number on it, <b>do not rely on it</b>. Gate numbers change all the time at CO's hubs. Make sure you check the terminal monitors.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 10:06 AM

BTW, CO also uses gate at Terminal D (Gate 1-3 all the time, but the others occassionally as well). So, don't be surprised if your plane arrives there. A map will be very helpful.

One other thing about that map. While you can cross between the North &amp; South concourses at Terminal C without going through security, you cannot use that diagonal walkway between the center part of C towards E1 without having to reclear security. You have to go straight south to C43 and then head east towards E.

That's why if you're going between C14-27/D1-3 and E11-24, you should take the train.