Transporting a Weimaraner...

Oct 23rd, 2013, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Transporting a Weimaraner...

There is a possibility the next job I get could require us to move far away from where we are located now. It also could be away from mainland USA.
So, my question is:
Moving without our Weimaraner (80-pound dog) is not an option.
What are our options? Flying? Cruise?
What are general prices? What airlines and/or cruise companies allow for pets of this size?
What are your suggestions?
Oct 23rd, 2013, 02:47 PM

We have a Weim and i'm not sure I would trust an airline enough to put him in the hold for a flight overseas. Our guy also has SA issues (common in Weims) so I'm not sure he would survive a flight in a cage - not sure if your dog has the same issues but something to consider.

Can you make it part of your "package" that a private dog transport is part of the deal if they want you to move? I think there are companies that do "dog flights" to move dogs around that are better conditions than having them in the hold of an airplane. But please check on all of this!

I'm already worried about your weimy!
Oct 23rd, 2013, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

It's only a possibility at this point. Just trying to be ahead of the game.

I'm not sure what SA issues are. Can you explain?

As for our Weim-- Rollo-- he is amazing. He's very much only a pet, but one we can't live without. We will take every precaution, if I get the job, before we move him.

If he could sit in the seat next to us, we would gladly pay the fare, if you know what I mean.
Oct 24th, 2013, 12:29 AM

Have pet transport included as part of your relocation package.

Flying is the best bet as it will be the fastest and least stressful on your pet. Your dog will have to be put into a pet crate and placed in the pressurized cargo hold with the other animals, so buying him a seat is not an option (unless you fly a charter).
Oct 24th, 2013, 12:37 AM

It also matters WHERE you are moving to, because moving to foreign countries requires significantly more paperwork, prep, and fees than a domestic move.
Oct 24th, 2013, 05:34 AM

There may also be a quarantine period at your destination. You are certainly wise to do your due diligence in advance.
Oct 24th, 2013, 06:23 PM

Separation Anxiety - I'm glad you didn't recognize that - hopefully that means you don't have to deal with it with your Weim! Our guy is a rescue so that exacerbated his problem!
Oct 24th, 2013, 07:32 PM

Being in a airplane hold for that long a time could give the poor dog SA!
Oct 24th, 2013, 07:44 PM

If you are going to Europe, you can take him onto the Queen Mary 2, though then you'd probably need to rent a car and drive onto the Continent if the job isn't in the U.S. If you are going anywhere else, I don't know that there are many options other than private planes, which are cost-prohibitive.

Very few places have quarantines any longer (even the UK) provided that you meet the vet requirements beforehand. An exception is, I believe, Australia.
Oct 25th, 2013, 09:51 AM

Plan ahead so that you know the requirements and have time to meet them and can ask they they be reimbursed by your company(such as for foreign recognizable microchip, rabies certification, acceptance by animal authorities at customs in your destination, etc.)

There are professionals who can do this. I believe many of them work with show cats and dogs and such. When I was considering taking my cat to the UK I found several kennels in the area of my city that had special expertise in overseas moves of animals and would do it for me for a fee. It isn't cheap.

You might also contact a "rescue" group or other club for your breed in your current location and your new location as they may have other specific experience and suggestions.
Oct 27th, 2013, 02:28 PM

Hawaii also has very strict quarantine laws.
Nov 5th, 2013, 04:10 PM

If you are traveling from the States internationally, Lufthansa is definitely the way to go for commercial airlines! They are Fantastic! If you take a pet who is small enough to ride in cabin, I suggest Business first or first/global.... You and your furry family member will be quite comfy!
However, since you're referring to a large breed dog, he will be riding underneath..... But Not to worry on Lufthansa.... They Truly are Very mindful and caring, when it comes to our four legged friends...... You can go on their website and look under traveling with animals[dogs/cats] in cabin vs cargo.... Lufthansa has climate controlled cargo holes and [as I recall] the pets are not right in with the baggage, but a separate area specifically for live animals....... Also, don't let anyone talk you into Sedating your baby....... it is Extremely dangerous to sedate a pet Especially for riding underneath....... Many "Many" have died in transit, in fact, United is the absolute worse, according to news items stating when pets arrive in the cargo hole "Dead"! They now have these "Vests or Jackets" that you can buy for your doggie and it keeps them calm and secure With out Drugging them...... They also have "Natures something" which is a natural calming spray you srap in/on their Carrier/Crate, but Not on your pet! It keeps them calm and relaxed without sedation /drugs... I bought some for our Cat and sprayed it on/around his carrier and he was relaxed and didn't cry or Anything, and he was in Business/First w/me to And from Germany..... We even flew on the A-380 Jumbo jet Lufthansa, which is First/Business/First on the top deck.I Highly recommend it!There are also a couple of airlines that cater Just to transporting pets..... Pet Air (?) I don't know if that's the correct name And I'm not sure they're still in business..... Social Flights is a private charter...... Sometimes, you can book a "Seat" on what would be an "empty" flight for them, meaning, they come back empty After a destination booked/flown......Hope this helps you with your decision...... Safe Travel for you and your Precious Doggie!

Search this Thread