Reload this Page >

Tourist Cards for Cuba

Search

Tourist Cards for Cuba

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2002, 09:27 PM
joan

Tourist Cards for Cuba

We are leaving for Cuba in two weeks. We booked our vacation over the internet through Air Transat Holidays in Canada. We just read that we need a Tourist card, does anyone know if we can get this card at the airport. We are having a very hard time getting an answer from Air Transat.

Old May 30th, 2002, 09:36 PM
John

If you are an American you can not legally travel to Cuba.

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:18 AM
Jim

What John says is nearly true; that's why you have to go through Canada (or one of the many other conutries that isn't observing an embargo). Don't let them stamp your passport, you'll be in bg trouble. <BR><BR>Americans are permitted to go if they're part of a pre-approved tour group that's going with an educational or scientific purpose in mind. Boston's Museum of Science offers these trips.

Old May 31st, 2002, 08:53 AM
Lorraine

Please follow John's advice....Do not let them stamp your passport!!

Old May 31st, 2002, 03:51 PM
bab

Don't use your credit cards for any thing either. They are really cracking down and if they find out you went to Cuba without "official permission" or, like Jim said, part of a liscensed group, you could have your passport taken away. And believe me, after Shrub's last speech on Cuba and Americans traveling there, they are REALLY cracking down on this.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 11:05 AM
Jim

The no credit cards rule also applies to ATM crds, or anything else that could link you to the place. Bring cash!

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 11:45 AM
laura

The tourist card will come with your tickets. Its like an immigration card almost. You will have to fill it out and present it when you arrive in Cuba, and the other half has to be kept until you return. There is also a departure tax out of cuba $20USD per person -cash only.<BR><BR>Good luck

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 03:38 PM
Ed

Foolish isn't it. I have to go thu Canada to get to Cuba yet I can fly from any large domestic airport directly to countries that have far worse regimes that Cuba. This has been political nonsense for too long. Time to get real and allow us to travel WHERE WE WANT TO, not where State allows us to.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:15 AM
Dave

There are a lot of misconceptions here. For a long discussion, go to the Caribbean forum.<BR><BR>Americans can legally travel to Cuba, but you must have a reason and get a certificate from the US Treasury.<BR><BR>There are a few weekly direct flights from LA, Miami, and NYC to Havana.<BR><BR>Cuba does not accept American ATM cards or credit cards. You can't use them even if you wanted to. <BR><BR>I suspec that the "tourist card" is what you have to fill out on the plane every time before you enter a foreign country.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:37 AM
Dave

Go to &lt;http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...ur_section=tra

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:19 AM
xxx

For such a democracy, America surely puts lots of restrictions on its people. No Cuban cigars either, how pathetic. For all of you who say you are capitalists but support the embargo, you can't have both. In fact, by opening Cuban markets, it would benefit US manufacturers and business as well as benefit the Cuban people.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Fidel

xxx-Yes I agree with you, as I believe most Americans do as well. Unfortunately, we have a very powerful Cuban lobby in Florida, (read:tons of money), that dreams about going back to the old days. They would love to take over the island tomorrow, and maybe some of them have some legal rights, but let's face it, the cold war is over, we forgave Russia, Vietnam, east block countries, etc....So I, like I suspect most Americans, would like to see the embargo lifted, but we really don't have the time or the money that some powerful political lobbies do. So don't generize us as all being stupid Americans, I'm sure that wherever you're from, you could pick on some of the things your government does that do not represent majority thinking.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Dave

xxx - <BR><BR>I brought back Cuban cigars. You are allowed to bring back $100 worth.<BR><BR>A lot of misconceptions...

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Fidel

Dave,<BR>I believe you are wrong. The economic embargo forbids all Americans to spend ANY amount of money in or for Cuba. There are exceptions ofcourse but you have to have permission from our governmnet. Also anybody that has family there is allowed to send personal help in the shape of money or food or whatever.... Now that said, do I bring Cuban cigars and or rum, yes, every time I travel abroad but I know that if US customs found it they would be confiscated.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Dave

Dear Fidel:<BR><BR>Pardon me, but I am not wrong. I had "permission from our government" so I was allowed to bring in $100.00 of goods.<BR><BR>Please read previous posts on this thread.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Melissa

What exactly makes any of you think that Joan is an American....I missed the rule that only Americans post on this forum. If she is leaving from Canada, and using a Canadian company, maybe she is Canadian. Quiet a concept.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Fidel

Dave - <BR>I believe I DID say there were exceptions. Please read before replying.<BR>Thank You

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Dave

Dear Fidel-<BR><BR>You're welcome. Have a nice day.<BR><BR>Best regards<BR><BR>Dave

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 10:30 AM
xxx

Joan, I assume is not Canadian, because Canadians do not need tourist cards to go to Cuba. Also, it would seem logical to assume that since she stated "Air Transat Holidays in Canada," she is not from Canada.