Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Tips for flying BA with a 3-year-old and a really tall husband...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have already purchased tickets with British Airways for September for my family's flight to London. Unfortunately, there were no seats available for me to choose. I joined their frequent flyer club, so I will try logging on 24 hours before the flight to reserve seats together. Otherwise, their website says they are family friendly, usually able to seat families together.

I would like to get some input as to whether this is usually the case. Also, assuming there are some seats available for selection on-line, what would you recommend? I obviously need to be next to my three-year-old, but my husband is 6'6" and can use any leg room he can get. I have heard that emergency exit rows are probably the way to go with him (can't book until we arrive at the gate, right?), but I know my daughter can't be seated there. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:23 PM

This site will help you with knowing which seats are good and which are not so good.

<b>www.seatguru.com</b>
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Just as a follow-up, here is the information I have found out-We aren't able to check in on-line since my daughter is under 3. The agent over the phone confirmed that they only release a small number of seats for pre-selection and we should check in early (more than three hours)to get the best seats. She put in a request for bulkhead seats for us, of course, with no guarantee.

In relation to the other post about when to check in, she said the counter will open for check-in at 2pm (flight is at 8:20pm). At this point, we'll plan to be at the airport between 4:30 and 5:00, cross our fingers and hope for the best!
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 08:17 AM

BA &quot;usually&quot; books groups together- but just won't release the information. You'll probably have seats assigned to you. You're best bet is to ask at check in if you can have your husband &quot;moved&quot; to the emergency row and have your two other seats behind him. Please note that if you're flying with a car seat the child will need to be by the window or in the middle seat of the middle row. (I'd opt for no car seat for a 3 year old.)
Have your 3 year old behind your husband so if she/he starts to kick the seats it's only your husband and he can fully recline his seat too!
BA has pretty good in flight entertainment for kids- cartoons and usually a magazine. Pack foos for the flight as my kids NEVER like the food on BA (except in business class!!). Good luck.
Also the walk from the gate is always LONG at heathrow ( or are you coming into Gatwick?) If there is a luggage trolley near by when you deplane grab it and let your child ride.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Great idea for seating! Woluld that be better than the bulkhead?

I ordered the kids' meal for my daughter, but plan to take along lots of snacks for her and us (low carb fare).

We are planning to push the umbrella stroller up to the plane. It is my understanding that on BA they will allow that.

Also, we have decided against a car seat.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 10:13 AM

You really don't want a bulkhead seat for a 3-year old, as the armrests are usually non-movable. On a long trip with a toddler or young child, you want to raise the armrest so that the kid can rest his/her head on your lap, or even lay flat if the plane isn't full. It's impossible with bulkhead seats.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for that info. I didn't know. I figure that moveable armrests will be a benefit (we can encroach on her space). So, the 1 in exit row and 2 behind is the best bet?
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 11:45 AM

figure out what is most important- you husband;s relative comfort or your ease of doing most of the &quot;work&quot; on the flight with your duaghter. IF your husband can't be in the exit or bulkhead row then make sure you;re three in a row! Other wise try the one and two configuration.
I'd try this at check in- I think we're all seated together but since my husband is so tall we were hoping that he could get an exit row/bulkhead seat and my duaghter and I could sit in the row behind him in case I need his help during the flight. Worth a shot! Then ask for help with the out going leg of your flight too!
The umbrella stroller is a good option and BA will probably let you keep it up until the gate (it should be tagged at check in).
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 01:18 PM

Are all 3 of you unable to use online check-in or just your daughter? If it's just your daughter, I would go ahead and secure an exit seat for your husband online.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 05:40 AM

First choice: the best seat for Dad if possible.

Second choice: Two seats together for the kid. Dad can sit with and encroach on the kid if he didn't get an exit row seat.

Nice but not a priority: One parent in front of the kid; if a problem arose, the passenger in front can trade except Dad is not obliged to trade away an exit seat he succeeded in getting.

All cases: The parents looking after a kid having to sit separately may induce other passengers to break the ice regarding trading seats.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 02:45 PM

The best tip for any tall passenger flying with any airline is not to book economy. Your husband will have many other people competing with him for the exit row seats, many of whom are just as deserving.

With regards online check-in, if you have a child in your PNR then no can do unfortunately. Call BA and have them separate your husband on to a different booking if you are thinking of online check in, otherwise uou have to check in the old fashioned way at the airport.

The best advice really is to enquire about an upgrade to World Traveller Plus. This is not always such an expensive option and is the only way to guarantee that extra room.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 03:18 AM

Hi ...

Even if you didn't have a child with you, you won't be able to book 24 hrs ahead on their website. All of you need to be BA exec members to do that ... if your not a BA exec member then it is 12 hours.

As to exit seats, well you cann't book them online or the self check in desks, as the checkin desk people actually need to see that you are physically able to open the emergency doors. To be honest the likelyhood of you getting a emergency exit seat is remote, no matter what time you turn up ... these normally go to their gold/silver exec members !!

Check that if you turn up more than 3 hours in advance you will be able to check in ... I thought this facility was only open to Business Class passengers ???

Mark
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Original Poster

We're still on vacation, but here is how our flight over went...

I called the day before and the agent put a note on our reservation about tall husband and small child. We checked in at about 3:30 for the 8:20 flight (got to the airport much earlier than anticipated). We were able to check in right away, although we got special stickers on our luggage to make sure it didn't go on the earlier flight. My husband was put on the emergency exit row and my daughter and I were put across the aisle on the bulkhead. Also, the seats my daughter and I occupied had a moveable armrest (the one on my other side was not moveable), so she was able to lay down (at least one of us got some sleep!).

Obviously we were very early, but I feel we were treated very well by BA! I am in the exec club, but this is our first flight with them. Thanks so much for all of your advice. Will let you know how it goes on the return flight.