time between flights

OK. In looking at our flight to Boston..arrives at 4:46PM
Paris flight leaves 6:10 PM

Do I dare check luggage?
what if flight is late?

Thanks for the help. Sorry for all the questions
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's plenty of time. Without knowing how long your stay is in Paris, it's difficult to know whether you can practically avoid checking luggage. (My own consideration would be whether it is worth spending an extra half hour to 45 minutes at CDG, rather than the transfer issue.) Bringing some basic items in a carry-on that would allow you to comfortably survive your luggage showing up at least a day later is a good practice for any trip.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Re checking the luggage, I had posted before that we are in our 70's..not sure we can lift luggage into overhead bin but maybe I can find a way to get someone to help stow it overhead??...will ask. From what you are saying in CDG airport we will have a wait.

Trip will be 7 weeks in Paris and 10 days with family in Boston. taking 22inch suitcase..and a 77 year old husband.

You are great with your answers..!!!
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 03:07 PM

loisco, that's not a trip; it's a two month deployment!
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 04:20 PM

8 weeks with a 22 inch suitcase - I am impressed!
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

<Message: 8 weeks with a 22 inch suitcase - I am impressed!>

Don't be...it's my husband's idea. we'll see what happens.he says we have to travel light but I don't think he considered the time we are going to be there. I am sure I can do laundry?????
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 05:10 PM

Check your luggage. What's waiting for a few minutes at CDG, when you don't have to haul luggage onto two planes, and transfer between them in BOS?

And, since Paris is your destination, even if the luggage didn't make it, they will eventually deliver to your Paris address. It's not like you're going on a cruise, and if the bags are late, you'll be stuck without your stuff for the whole cruise.

Check your bags and stop worrying. And follow Flyboy's advice and pack some essential stuff in the carry-on, like medicine.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 05:11 PM

I'm very impressed. The best I did was a 22" case with a rucksack for a 3 week trip.

Yes, if this is all you will carry you will have to do laundry along the way. Of course, you can do laundry with your family. You should bring things that can be washed and dried quickly if doing hand laundry. You may be able to find public laundries along the way in France. Or depending on your itinerary, you may want to rent flats with a laundry to use as your base in the various cities/areas instead of getting hotels. This may actually be a cheaper alternative since weekly+ flat rentals are often less than hotel stays. And you'll also have a kitchen so you can save on the food bill.

There are lots of tips on efficient packing on this forum. Also if you want more info on renting flats in France, you can query on the Europe site. There are several posters who can provide excellent guidance for you. Have fun planning!
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

OK..another dumb question relating to this..sorry folks! I think we may be able to make the flight (by running) but is there any chance at all the luggage will too????..I guess I am asking ...in that short a time if the luggage is checked from San Diego to Paris do they unload it at Boston (our stop) and get it on the Paris plane in time?..

I am not worried so much waiting to pick up luggage in Paris. I just don't want it to be on another later plane as we are picking up a car in Paris and heading for Normandy.

Old Dec 7th, 2004, 11:49 PM

In my experience if you have 30 or more minutes on a domestic or outgoing trip (like this one), I've never had problems with my luggage. Believe it or not, they are actually pretty good, and with over an hour time should not be an issue.

This of course does not mean that they might not misplace it -- which is why you should probably bring a carry-on with at least a change of underware, toothbrush, and any medicines.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 02:07 AM

So far, following your posts, your husband insists you do only carry-on AND you bring only a 22 inch suitcase. It is going to be a very long 8 weeks if he insists on setting such rules about every aspect of travel. If you can get everything into a suitcase of that size, go for it. But if you are checking your luggage, you could consider a slightly bigger bag - in 2 months of travels you are likely to need some variation in seasonal wardrobe that will take up more space. And I would get very tired of wearing the same 2 pairs of pants every day for 2 months!
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 03:17 AM

I agree with gail.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 04:07 AM

I agree wth gail and Flyboy.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 04:14 AM

<maybe I can find a way to get someone to help stow it overhead??...will ask.> No flight attendent is going to do this for you and I don't think it would be fair to ask anyone to lift your very heavy luggage. Every passanger is busy trying to find a place for its own luggage. Who wants to worry about your overweight suitcase. Millions of people check in luggage every day all over the world. Where are you flying from, when and what airlines?

Why won't you pack a very heavy suitcase and ask your husband to lift it high above his head.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 05:30 AM

You have almost 90 minutes between flights. Stop worrying about your checked bags. They will make it. If not I'll send you $10. Millions of bags get transferred successfully each day with less time in between.

And without the luggage, you can get <b>yourselves</b> to the new gate more easily, especially if your first flight is somewhat late.

Anyways, AA's operation at BOS isn't that large, and your CDG flight leaves at the same general gate area. Neither you or your checked bags have to go very long, as long as your incoming flight was also on AA.

And like Incognito says, don't expect anybody to help you lift bags into the overhead luggage bin. People may do it unwillingly, if you have blocked the aisle for minutes, but in generally no. Personally, I'll help people take their bags DOWN, to faciliate deboarding for everybody, but I will not lift other's stuff up. Don't want to get blamed if I break anything - either the plane, that bag, or somebody else's bags.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 06:42 AM

Agree with the posters above, with such a long trip, you should consider bringing and checking a larger suitcase with more clothing. You will be traveling by car at your destination so a larger case will not be too much of a problem c/w train travel. And constantly doing laundry is not fun.

It is rare to find a flight attendant to help you put your case in the overhead bin. I was unable to put my mother's case into the overhead bin and asked a FA for help. It was not heavy, just the bin was a bit high. She did help but was extremely rude about it. I've been told (by others) that FAs are not supposed to help because they have been injured doing it since some people carry extremely heavy things on board (though weight restrictions are supposed to stop that). Other people may help but don't count on it.

I used to do only carry-on but with the weight restrictions for carry-on, I have to check. But actually, I find it much more convenient and less to worry about. As rkkwan said, I was able to get to the connection gate faster and easier. So far, my luggage has always made it even when there's less than hour between (hope I didn't just jinx myself). And it's rare that I have to wait very long to collect the luggage (except after I've arrived home).
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 08:24 AM

It is my understanding that the airlines tell the flight attendants not to assist with lifting, due to the possibility of injury, but I have seen innumerable instances where a flight attendant or a fellow passenger will assist an elderly or short passenger, and I have never seen an instance where assistance was not available.

However, my wife and I find it more convenient to check our wheeled bags and only carry on a shoulder bag with necessities. As for connections, more than once we have been on a flight that was delayed, and the gate attendant told us there was no way we could make our connection, so put us on a later flight. When we got to our final destination, our bags were not on the carrousel, but when we went to the office to make an inquiry, our bags were there, having made the connection that we missed. A relative who worked at an airline told me they have runners assigned specifically to rush through those bags where there is a very tight connection.

As to luggage capacity, I would suggest taking a third bag (checked), even if it is half empty; you will certainly be finding things there that you will want to bring back.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 10:59 AM

&lt;Trip will be 7 weeks in Paris and 10 days with family in Boston. taking 22inch suitcase&gt;

I can't even manage that on a 2 week trip

My husband always helps others if it looks like they need assistance getting their bags in or out of the overhead, but I still think it's better not to rely on someone else. Check the bags but take any valuables and one change of clothing in your carry on.