The British One-Carry-On Rule

Sep 20th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

The British One-Carry-On Rule

I had read somewhere that the powers that be were about to relax this rule for travelers leaving Britain; allowing one carry-on plus one "personal item" like most of the rest of the world. Does anyone have any information on whether or not this change will be happening soon (like, before my trip next month)?
Sep 20th, 2007, 09:11 AM

If you can put your personal item in the carry on, then you will always be ready.
Sep 20th, 2007, 09:23 AM

They were about to relax the rules about 2 months ago, but then there was another security incident. [I can't remember all these things now - my mind is so numb about these.]

BA and other UK airlines really want that relaxed. It's hurting their business and causing more checked baggage trouble because of this rule.

But I wouldn't hold my breath.
Sep 20th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

It does make it difficult because I not only have to plan on putting my "personal item" (i.e purse) into the carry-on when leaving, but also have to try to leave space for any souvenir items we might purchase.

Maybe I should save all my souvenir shopping for the shops at Heathrow past the security checkpoint. I think you can bring more than one item on the plane; just not through security.
Sep 20th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Why don't you just check everything except essentials / expensive electricals

Or buy smaller gifts
Sep 20th, 2007, 01:45 PM

I often check bags coming home, even if I can take it carryon on the outbound. The consequence of delayed bags coming home is easier to take than when starting a trip.
Sep 20th, 2007, 03:55 PM

azzure,

There has been ongoing discussion on reviewing the one-piece carry-on policy, but no tangible development so far as I'm aware of. So assume the current restriction for flights departing from the UK, regardless of which carrier you fly with.

Once you clear the security, absolutely no restriction on carry-on pieces. Do as much shopping as you want duty-free, esp as LHR has been morphed into a (rather overpricey) shopping mall.
Sep 23rd, 2007, 04:40 PM

Flew BA Stockholm-Heathrow-Boston on 10 September, arriving Terminal 1 and departing on 4. Was expecting a nightmare especially considering our date of travel, ie 24hrs prior to anniversary of Sept 11.

On arrival at Security for reboarding at Terminal 4, saw that the section of the Security Instructions regarding the One Carry On rule has been painted over! So passengers are now allowed the carry-on bag, a personal item (ie handbag)and a coat. The baggie with gels/liquids and shoe screening still applied, and although the line seemed long it moved quickly and we were through within 10 minutes.

I had prepared for the "old rule" by sewing my own hobo slouch handbag from soft textiles, so it could squash into the carry-on easily. And darn, I didn't need it.

Was also prepared to never see our check-in luggage again, especially after reading all the forums and media reports on the BA/BAA horrendous rate of lost and sometimes never-seen-again luggage.

Imagine our joyful surprise as our bags plopped along the carousel at Logan Airport - expect the worst, and everything else is a bonus!

Jackie
Sep 23rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Hmm...interesting, Jackie. We are also flying BA, (in and out of Terminal 1), but their web site still has the "one bag outgoing" rule posted. Will have to do some more digging, I guess.
Sep 23rd, 2007, 10:06 PM

Hi azzure,

Yep, I did the same digging after the media reports about the 'proposal' to relax the one-bag rule, and could find nothing 'official' up to the day of travel.

As mentioned, the instructions on the one-bag rule were simple painted over, with what looked like whitewash, and when I saw that, my immediate thought was it was purposely done that way so they could scrape it off at a moment's notice! Don't think the official websites will 'update' the one-bag rule for the same reason, so it can be re-instated instantly.

There are lots of instruction steps 1 through 6 as you shuffle along the security line, so pretty simple to follow.

Think wally's advice is spot on ... be prepared to stuff all your personal items in your one carry-on (ie leave sufficient space), and you can't go wrong if the security measures change from when we were there.

Strange thing, we went through at least 24 security checks at various airports, and at Heathrow DH got the dreaded beep beep - turned out to be his belt buckle!

Jackie

Sep 24th, 2007, 03:38 AM

I hope they do relax the one bag rule as the last time I went through LHR it took quite a bit longer to get through fast-track security than it ever had before.