Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Sleep/Shower Layover at London Gatwick Airport - Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering booking a flight from JFK to EDI that has a 7 hr 45 min (other option is 8 hr 45 min) layover at LGW. I've never been able to get much sleep on past flights to Europe, so I was thinking about booking a hotel in the airport for a few hours to shower and take a nap from the options here: https://www.sleepinginairports.net/g...ide.htm#hotels

How much time do I need to allocate for deplaning, rechecking bags, security, etc. both when we land at LGW and depart for EDI?

And has anyone done this? Is there anything I'm not taking into consideration? How far are the hotels in South terminal from where we need to be? It looks like they're right next to security but I could be wrong.

My thought is, we'll feel at least 5x better arriving in Edinburgh at 8am having already showered and gotten a nap since we probably won't be able to check into our apartment until later.

Thanks!

Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 08:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
CRAP! I posted a very detailed response and it vaporized

The short and dirty version . . . Of those hotels the Bloc and Yotels will be the very closest. The Bloc is at departures, and the Yotel is just downstairs.

>>How much time do I need to allocate for deplaning, rechecking bags, security, etc. both when we land at LGW and depart for EDI?<<

No way to tell - depends on the queues on the day. I've see short-ish and VERY looooong.

Are both flights on the same ticket or separate bookings - makes a BIG difference? If on the same booking, you won't see your checked bags until EDI - they'll be tagged through and you won't have access to them. So you'd need to have at very least a partial change of clothes and minimal toiletries in your carry on.

IF they are separate tickets, you probably won't be able to re-check the bags until 3 or 4 hours before your departure at the earliest..
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj!
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 05:05 PM

Good idea. I booked a day hotel in AMS for a layover and was glad I did!
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 05:30 AM

I suppose if this is actually an overnight layover, it can't be avoided, but EasyJet has flights to EDI as late as 9pm. United and Delta both have nonstops (though United's is from EWR not JFK.)
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 06:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I suppose if this is actually an overnight layover, it can't be avoided, but EasyJet has flights to EDI as late as 9pm.<<

I don't think it's overnight since the OP mentions a 'nap'. Most US flights land in the AM so a 7 hour layover could mean an EDI flight as early as 2 or 3 PM.
Old May 5th, 2019, 12:08 AM

We used the Yotel at Gatwick about a month ago when we had an 8 hr layover after a flight from San Francisco. It was great. Clean and comfortable enough for a good nap, and there are small grocery stores in the area for take-out salads and sandwiches. Just be sure to leave enough time at the end to get back through security to your departure gate.