Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Skyteam question..Delta and Singapore Airlines..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please what must be a stupid question, but on another post I read of a Delta member flying with FF miles on Singapore Airlines. I am an Air France/Flying Blue Skyteam member...but nowhere do I see any connection with Singapore. If both Flying blue and Delta are part of Skyteam, can I use Flying Blue Rewards to access flights on Singapore Airlines?

Please tell me I am not condemned to use KoreanAir for all of my future flights to Asia!
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 03:29 AM

Singapore Airlines are part of StarAlliance, AirFrance are part of Skyteam. I'm just guessing but it looks to me like Delta and Singapore have their own deal on the side, so unless AirFrance and Singapore are partners outside the alliances, you're out of luck.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 04:25 AM

Soon, you can also use China Airlines.

Seriously, from N. America, you can also you NW and CO.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses. Even I (!!) knew that the two are affiliated with different "teams," so I was really puzzled when I read the thread (on Asia board) about someone coming from NY to Bali on Singapore using Delta FF miles! And sure enough, Singapore is listed as a partner on the Delta website...very confusing!

I think I can also use China Southern, but have not looked into it. Have any of you used this airline which just became affiliated with Skyteam?

Not that Korean Air is bad, but since I am probably the only one alive who has actually PAID for business Class flights to Asia from the US, I was hoping I could "upgrade" to an even better carrier for next time..

Remember I am flying from NYC, so not sure about the direct flights to Asia from there on CO and NW..
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 05:21 AM

Yes, China Southern flies LAX-CAN (Guangzhou) non-stop. However, they have very tight 10-across seating on their 777, and I'd avoid them in coach, definitely.

CO flies EWR-PEK and EWR-HKG. Will add EWR-PVG in March 2009. All non-stops.

For NW, most of the time you have to connect at DTW or MSP to NRT. Then to your final destination, if it's not Tokyo.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 02:59 AM

Ekscrunchy, my wife & I paid for our business class seats last Christmas from SAV-ATL-ICN-BKK and return through Delta on Korean Air. The flights were great! The staff was more than willing to help with any request. I slept through the hot cookie surface and when I awoke I was given hot cookies without asking. If Korean Air were my only option or the best price I wouldn't hesitate to fly them again.

I know Singapore Air is supposed to be one the top airlines but the price/FF miles difference might not make it a viable option. We're heading back to BKK but this time we're going first on BA.
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 12:21 AM

Singapore Airlines Economy Class are good! And Many Direct flights! Sorry, IF YOU ARE TRAVVELING ON SINGAPORE AIRLINES FROM SINGAPORE, PLEASE READ CAREFULLY FROM NOW, Now Singapore Changi Aiport is having a New Terminal 3! So please go to www.singaporeair.com FOR More information!