Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Should the flight that makes you EXP count toward stickers?

Oct 30th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

The EXP agent didn't know an transferred me to AAdvantage customer service. I'm on hold right now. Pre-EXP Miles Toward Elite Upgrades balance was X8,683. Thanks!
Oct 30th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

I was just told no on the flight that crosses EXP. I was also told no on any pro-rated sticker credit. I've been given pro-rated stickers at the beginning of March as Plat but they wouldn't budge on this. I understand their reasoning but since EXPs still need stickers to upgrade companions but can't earn stickers, it seems a bit like a catch-22, oh well.
Oct 30th, 2009, 01:14 PM

Why is it Catch 22? You had to "pay" (with stickers) for companion upgrades before EXP, and you still do.
Oct 30th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

But before you could earn stickers, now you can't.
Oct 30th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

I think it's also partly just me getting used to the whole sticker concept. It's still taking me a while to learn/adjust. Thanks for all of the help you've provided me BTW and your patience in answering my multitudes of AA related questions. I didn't mean to come across as complaining. OK maybe a little bit
Oct 30th, 2009, 01:39 PM

But before you could earn stickers, now you can't.

And you had to in order to get yourself upgraded. The companion bit was an additional benefit of elite status - if you had enough stickers saved up you could use them for a companion ONLY if you were in the same class of service, i.e. had either paid for a premium cabin or used your own miles or stickers to upgrade. Earning them was a means to an end - getting the FFer - you - upgraded.

Now you don't have to earn them any more - the upgrades come for free. But not free to the companion. For AA to let you continue to amass stickers - which you don't need - while in EXP status is basically giving upgrades away to non-elite companions. Why would they want to do that? You're the important customer, not the companion.
Oct 31st, 2009, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

That makes sense, thanks.