Sharing an excellent experience

Jan 21st, 2015, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Sharing an excellent experience

I am not sure if this is the perfect place to share an excellent experience. Over the past few years I accummulated enough miles for 2 business class tickets to Hong Kong through Alaska. Getting the miles is easy but finding the tickets is not, particularly for Cathay that doesn't have an option on their website to check for award tickets. So I searched for an award booking website and came across AwardMagic. They were very responsive and easy to work with. Despite the fact that I didn't have a lot of flexibility, they were able to find the tickets I wanted for the dates I wanted them. Ellen kept me informed and consulted with me when needed. The experience was flawless, I highly recommend them, should you need similar help.
Jan 22nd, 2015, 03:23 AM

What are their fees?
Jan 22nd, 2015, 04:16 AM

I took a look at the website and was favourably impressed. Fees are listed: $139 I think for a single destination itinerary (which of course is in addition to any airline imposed fees and taxes). Might be worth it for someone who wants to get maximum value out of a lot of points. If they were cheap to use, I would suspect it was a scam.
Jan 22nd, 2015, 04:40 AM

Glad to hear that you had a good experience w/AwardMagic. Cathay is a great airline in their premium classes.

For the record, there are a couple of ways to check for Cathay award availability. Their FF program is called AsiaMiles, and if you sign up for AsiaMiles you can check award availability on the Cathay site. However, if you're using miles from a partner airline, an even better way is to join Japan Airlines FF program, and then check Cathay availability on Japan's web site. (Some of the award seats listed on Cathay's site are apparently available only to AsiaMiles members and not to partner airlines.) British Airways FF site also lists Cathay availability, though I've found it to be more than a bit flaky at times.
Jan 22nd, 2015, 05:56 AM

So as we are planning to book, hopefully R/T air to Singapore on biz class thru UAL as my plan is with them can this company find a way to cut thru the red tape so to speak and if I book it thru them can I return the miles to the bank for the usual fee if our plans change?
Jan 22nd, 2015, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Yes, jacketwatch. They really do the legwork for you which can be quite painful. Don, thanks for pointing out a somewhat easier way. For Alaska, if you change your mind, you can return the miles with no fee 60 days until before the planned trip.
Jan 22nd, 2015, 07:59 AM

Thank you. I am inclined to use the airline first but if I hit a snag then Ill try them
Jan 22nd, 2015, 04:04 PM

I think we have a misunderstanding but you answered my question. I do mean returning the miles to the airline plan which is what I think you just said.
Thank you. Larry.