San to CDG problem with aircraft..please help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I had my frequent flyer trip planned. Now I find out the AA flight from BOS to CDG is a narrow body plane. We really don't like that...now I am tryng to find another flight out of SAN to CDG without a long layover. Are there any suggestions...?

Thank you
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 02:37 PM

If you are already ticketed for the trip, it will cost you to rebook it. You will have to find availability, put it on hold, cancel the other trip, pay for redepositing the miles, and finally "pay with miles and fees" for the held ticket.

I never cancelled an award ticket so I'm not sure exactly how much it is, but I believe it's around $150 for the 1st ticket and somewhat less for the second ticket if the miles came out of the same account. If the miles were from separate accounts than it's $150, maybe more, for each ticket.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

I am not ticketed yet...just was ready to call and somehow found a post about the 757. Now I am back to square one. I found a flight from DFW...

Not only that but we are going back to BOS to see kids so I am going to end up on that naarrow body plane..or I may go to JFK and then take Jet Blue back.

So my first problem is a flight to PAR from SAN on a wide body using my AA ff miles.. All i can find is DFW. ORD has some but I would get in there too late or else too long a layover. I am so confused. I do appreciate your help.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 06:57 PM
J62

JetBlue only flies narrow body planes.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 06:17 AM

You aren't going to like this, but...

Remember that when you book a plane ticket it does NOT mean that you will be on that plane. The airlines can (and do) change equipment based on thier sales/needs.

As someone who flies east to west coast a lot. Widebodies are getting harder to find. (I like them just because they have more first class seats which ups my chances for an upgrade )
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Carol....oh dear, they can change equipment?...ugh!
I can fly Jet blue easily on domestic short flights. I do need help with the SAN-CDG flight. Can someone tell me if DFW is the only other way to get there from SAN on a widebody plane?I looked at ORD and the tmes are wrong. We wouldn't make it with our SAN plane out of San Diego.

Also when I went on itasoftware and put in AA...one of the things that came back was Tahiti Airlines???..out of LAX. This is a possibility too but I don't know if they take AA ff miles.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 08:07 AM
J62

On AA, you can fly to CDG.

JFK - 757
BOS - 757
ORD - 767
DFW - 767

If you can use other airlines then you can fly non-stop from LAX or SFO to CDG on Air France (or Delta flight # on AF plane), both of which are widebodies.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

We want to use our AA Frequent Flyer miles..we are sort of elderly so the less places we go the better. We just don't like the 757. I see the flights out of DFW have a widebody...I can't use the miles on the Delta or AF can I???? Thanks for the help.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 09:46 AM
J62

You can't use AA miles on DL or AF. Here's what I would do on AA, given all the info you've told us about your preferences.

SAN - DFW: 9:45am departure, 2:40pm arrival
DFW - CDG: 5:10pm departure, 9:40am (+1d) arrival

2 1/2 hr layover isn't excessive. If you're flying international business class you can use the AA lounge in DFW.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 10:21 AM

After NOV1 you won't be able able to earn AA miles when flying Air Tahiti Nui but since you are spending miles then it's a non issue for you. Yes, you can use AA miles on the non-stop ATN from LAX to CDG.

You will need to call AA as it's not possible to book non AA flights using miles on line.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all.....!!...Wish me luck. I have one more question. Coming back from CDG, we are going to Boston but want a widebody so we are planning to go to JFK....from there Jet Blue to Boston to see kids.

My question...arriving at JFK with luggage from our AA trip...can we get a shuttle to the Jet Blue terminal...and are there porters to help to do this or do you think we could manage on our own.(husband 82)..
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 11:58 AM
J62

You can also fly AA JFK to BOS.

Arrive from CDG on the 767 1:40pm, depart JFK to BOS 3:30pm. You would not need to change terminals at all, just go right upstairs by elevator or escalator after customs & reenter Terminal 8 through security. No bags to haul.

If you choose to use JetBlue you would take AirTrain from AA to JetBLue terminals - it would be about a 10min ride on the AirTrain, and a 10min walk to/from the AirTrain at either Terminal. I don't know if AA and JetBlue have an interline baggage agreement, so you may have to wheel your bags with you on the AirTrain to then check them with JetBlue. That's not a problem if you have a cart and use the elevators.

At present there is no JetBlue flight you could catch until 5 or 5:30, so you'd have plenty of time to people watch (assuming you're on the 1:40pm from CDG)
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 12:01 PM
J62

In fact, if you use AA Miles from CDG to JFK you can fly for free AA JFK to BOS.

Here's what was displayed when I tried a multi city CDG-JFK/JFK-BOS itinerary (100k miles per person, one way)

"This international award allows a stopover at New York - JFK for no additional miles. Mileage required for both flights is displayed on the Award Legend for the international flight."
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 12:05 PM

Here is what I would do (if available):

SAN-LAX AA - checked bags all the way to CDG
LAX-CDG - Tahiti Airlines

CDG-JFK-BOS AA with bags checked all the way through (you will need to carry the bags through customs in JFK, but then just drop them off outside the customs exit door)

If you still have enough miles use AA from BOS to SAN. Unless you willing to do 2 connections it won't be a wide body but neither will be JetBlue.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 12:10 PM

AA allows one way mile award bookings, so you can just do BOS-SAN as a third segment of your trip.

If you want to do 2 connections and be on a wide body for the majority of the return trip then you can ask for BOS-JFK-LAX-SAN. JFK-LAX are non-stops on a 767 wide body.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

More choices... but just don't want to fly a narrow body back to BOS. I also have come medical problems which I won't go into. I don't mind Jet Blue on short flights. However,both of you bring up good points. Have to reassess...I have 240,000 miles ...would that cover business SAN-DFW-CDG-JFK-BOS????
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 12:27 PM
J62

depends on the dates and availability of FF seats.

Business class any time awards on AA are 100,000 per person, one way, so you'd need 400,000 for that routing. There are 50k mile awards but I didn't see any for SAN-CDG from now until Feb when I looked earlier. When are you flying?
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Now I am really confused....Going April 16
Return to JFK May 17
(go to Boston...return to SAN May 25)

So with 240,000 miles ..can't do it all.

Could I do business SAN-DFW-CDG ? 4/16
And business CDG-JFK? 5/17 .....are there enough miles for both?

The flight from SAN to DFW is short..could live with coach if I have to.
BOS-SAN would have to do coach..or jet blue..

I have to call to do this ...that's why I need advice and I thank you.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 01:14 PM
J62

According to AA.com you can do:

SAN-DFW-CDG, business class for 100,000 miles per person
CDG-JFK-BOS, business class for 100,000 milse per person
BOS-SAN, coach class, 12,500 miles per person.

So no, you do not have enough miles to fly business class SAN-CDG and back. There are no 50,000 mile awards available for those dates, or any dates in April or May. I checked SAN-CDG, to see if there was any route for 50,000 miles and the answer was no.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 01:23 PM

I think it would help if you list exact dates and where

What I have is

4/17 San Diego to Paris
5/16 Paris to Boston
5/25 Boston to San Diego

Is that right?

The way it works it the flights are "Trip" So IF you can get the cheap Business Class ticket it would be the same number of miles as if you flew the SAN to DFW in coach. When you call AA try to get this on your miles

4/16 SAN to CDG. Tell the agent you want a wide body over the ocean.
5/17 CDG to BOS. Same thing on the widebody!

IF you get lucky, that's going to take 100,000 miles for both of you, but...we have a lot of requirements here, exact dates, business class, wide body. Are you at all flexible? Can you move dates a few days either way if the agent can find you the flights. Otherwise it might take 100,000 miles for each ticket.

I just looked at the flights on AA.com to CDG on the day you want and the only 50K option I see for that day is a 6:20 AM departure to Chicago and then on to CDG, but the CDG flight is a widebody.

Flying coach from SAN to wherever you connect to CDG is not going to save you any miles, it's per trip, not segment.

Now getting from BOS to San Francisco is an issue. YOu could use your miles for that too I guess IF the above doesn't take all 200,000

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -