Reload this Page >

Round Trip Tick-Only us return flight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 05:55 PM
Sherry

Help please, <BR>Is there a way to book a round trip ticket and only use the return flight? Booking in the country you want to fly to can be much less expensive than booking from US. <BR>Thank for any information anyone can provide.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 04:58 AM
Laura

You can, BUT buy and use at your own risk. When you check in on your return flight, the airline (using their computer) will know you didn't use your outbound ticket and will know you exactly what you did. People try and do this all the time. What can they do? Well, they can confiscate your ticket, deny you boarding and/or make you pay the additional fee for a round trip one. If you decide to chance it anyway, please do not purchase the ticket from a TA. If you do get caught, the TA will also get in trouble even if you never told the TA of your plan, the airlines don't care.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 05:40 AM
Johnson

Wow, duplicate duplicate posts posts. <BR> <BR>Sherry and Laura -- I don't understand why you want to reverse things so the first part of your ticket isn't what you want to do? Are you trying to get to, say, Sydney from NY without coming back to NY, but the tickets from Sydney to NY and back are cheaper? How long do you expect to stay in Australia (or wherever it is you are going)? <BR> <BR>Have you considered trying to contact an agent in Australia (or wherever) to purchase the ticket for you?

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 06:20 AM
Laura

Let's keep it simple. Don't purchase a round trip ticket and use only the return (inbound) coupon. thanks.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 04:42 PM
Cindy

Laura, you wrote: "If you decide to chance it anyway, please do not purchase the ticket from a TA. If you do get caught, the TA will also get in trouble even if you never told the TA of your plan, the airlines don't care." How can the TA get in trouble? And if the TA can get in trouble, why advise someone to set up a TA to take the fall? Seems morally questionable to me. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 09:32 PM
Laura

If you thought I was advising someone to set this kind of ticket up with a TA, you misunderstood me. I was advising that if someone decides to take the risk of purchasing a rt ticket and using only the return portion, buy it on your own so no one else gets in trouble with you. As for how a TA can get in trouble; the airline doesn't care if the TA knew beforehand or not. They will issue a "debit memo" and expect the TA/agency to help pay. I'm not saying they have a legal case to do this, but in any event, it's a big hassle for the TA.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 07:24 PM
Sherry

Thanks everyone who posted. <BR>I'm planning on being in Sydney for at least 4 yrs. except for visits back. Yes, I wanted to use only the return portion of roundtrip ticket. Syd to NY..NY to Syd because it is so much less expensive than trip originating in the US. Which really aggrevates me because it is the same darn plane and flights. <BR> <BR>Also, yes I looked into purchasing from Australia, but that didn't work out. Which would have been really nice because the fares are even less expensive then the abovementioned. <BR> <BR>Simply trying to get the most of MY money. Ended up booking with Austravel. Got a good fare and will not use return ticket. Overall paid about $250. more than the cost of buying from Au. Not bad. <BR> <BR>BTW..I wouldn't want to get anyone in a jam, especially me.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 07:48 PM
Johnson

Good for you, Sherry. At least your ticket from Aus. 4 yrs. from now will be cheaper! <BR> <BR>One last suggestion: when you want to take a some quick trips back, mightn't you be able to "leap-frog" the passages so that you use the return part of the ticket you have for one of those trips, but you'll be able to buy all the other tickets in Aus.? <BR> <BR>That's probably not clear (it's late), but I hate to see you waste a ticket for one passage if you are actually going to fly in that direction at some point.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 09:34 PM
Sherry

Thanks Johnson. No worries, I understand your post. My brain is currently working at late time also. <BR> <BR>Yes, I hate to waste the Syd to LA tick also. Was able to get cheap fare one way from NY to LA. I will try to use the SYD to LA tick, but the tickets I'm using are only valid for one month. The cost to extend will probably be more than what it will be worth. <BR> <BR>I'll save heaps by purchasing my trips back to the states in Oz. Also, I hope to be flying as an (old..lol) international student soon. That may save me also. I won't assume. lol Always try to do my homework.

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 08:08 AM
Johnson

Lucky lady. Would love to visit Oz. Wish I were young again, too. Bon voyage. Stay in touch!

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 06:23 PM
Sherry

Thank you Johnson. I do consider myself lucky. I'm not young...lol..well, except at heart. Oz is GREAT..Please do visit if at all possible. It's called Oz for a good reason.