Repurcussions of cancelled flight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

USAirways cancelled our connecting flight from Charlotte to JFK because of heavy air traffic in NYC. We missed our BA flight from JFK to LHR and suffered the following consequencies. A charge of $520 + $20 each to change our booking to the following day, a downgrade in our booking class and because there were no rooms available within 30 miles of NYC we, who are in our mid 70s, spent a very uncomfortable night sitting in JFK. How do you handle a similar situation? Should we not have notified BA by phone that we couldn't make the original flight and just turned up the next morning? Our return flight to JFK was also delayed and we missed our Jetblue flight back to Jacksonville. Our choice was to standby on the next flight or pay $30 for a guaranteed seat, which we accepted. Shouldn't BA have offered us a similar deal? After 4 weeks waiting for a reply to both my and the cabin crew's request for consideration to at least drop the additional charges, I e-mailed BA and was told not to send further correspondence as there was a backlog They were hiring more people in customer service but it would take up to 28 more days to reply.
Incidentally an e-mail to USAirways about the cancellation brought an e-mail the following day apologising and giving us both a $250 voucher for future travel.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 01:23 PM

In short, if your USAir flight and BA flights were on separate tickets, then BA has no obligation to provide any compensation. Calling them may have helped but I'm not sure. But one would think they would have worked with you a little better...

As to hotels, you are telling me that New York, that huge place, was totally sold out of hotel rooms!

JetBlue, on the other hand, had a very nice alternative program, but note they are flying domestic not international. And as BA is a completely different company they have no reason to offer the same deals as any other airline.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 03:51 PM

Sorry to hear of your difficulties, Anncor1.

But, as NoFlyZone said, this is the big risk you take when booking an itinerary on separate tickets. Had you been booked on one ticket, you would have not incurred a change penalty on your BA flight (which you were probably fortunate to even be allowed to change as I assume you noshowed on your original booking) and you would have probably been given hotel accommodation. It sounds like you were holding *3* separate tickets in total which, in all honesty, is asking for trouble when you are relying upon immediate connections.

Had you notified BA by phone, it would not have made much difference. They wouldn't have held the flight for you and would have still charged change penalties. An international ticket invariably has higher change penalties than a domestic one (it's the equivalent of about $50 to change a BA shorthaul ticket), so the comparison to the Jetblue change fees is not fair.

Personally, I would put this down to experience. I assume you 'saved' money by purchasing separate tickets but have since got burned. I do sympathise, but you really have a minimal chance of success.

You will have a prolonged wait for a reply from BA customer realtions at the moment. They have been other horrendous issues at BA recently that they are having to deal with and they really are snowed under (extra staff have been hired). But even when your complaint reaches the top of the pile, you won't get the response you're hoping for.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 04:47 PM

A similar situation happened to me. My BA flight from London to Seattle left late and I missed my connection. BA did not even bother to answer my letter and that was last year. So, lesson learned to book flights together. I am thinking that perhaps in Anncor1's situation, trip insurance may have helped.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:36 AM

I just surprised that travel insurance isn't considered a must for international travel. I pay an extra annual fee for gold visa and Amex cards to cover my travel insurance.
I've just bought insurance for my husband and daughter for their trip to Asia as they are flying on frequent flyers. It's costing me AUD 100 for two weeks. This includes medical, theft and evacuation, missed planes if required.

Cheap as chips.

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:52 PM

Only insure for losses that you can not afford to lose. Insurance is a gamble and the odds are against you. Don't take the odds unless you can not afford the loss. That is what insurance is good for. To protect you against unacceptable losses. The odds favor the insurance company because they make the odds.

And then we have "cheap as chips". Maybe so, but will they pay up if you make a claim? Or will the deductible be so high and with so many exclusions that you will recover very little?

Insurance companies know that the reason most people buy insurance is for the "good" and "comfortable" and "secure" feeling it gives them. Most people do not apply any financial analysis or reasoning when they buy insurance and the companies like it that way.

regards - tom
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:46 AM

Tom

My insurance policy cost AUD 74.00 and a paid an additional AUD 25.00 which buys out all excess. It provides unlimited medical (we don't have overseas medical insurance provided from either medicare or private health insurance in Australia), $12,000 towards return airfare and $4,000 towards missed connections. I could go on but you can read it on http://tinyurl.com/2uusm6

Given the problems with current flight delays, when a flight alone costs $2,500, I still argue that $100 is cheap as chips. Anncor1 has paid at over USD 1,000 and was downgraded, spent a night at the airport.

A few years ago, I had return tickets to Canada from Australia as I was planning a holiday visiting my parents. Out of the blue, my father convulsed several weeks beforehand. I was able to get on a flight the next day and my insurance paid for the trip. My father died 10 days later and I was able to spend the time with him and did not have to fork out another $5,000 for my daughter and I to fly there.

I have also been able to claim for stolen ipods, cameras etc over several years.

Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:42 AM

Right on cary999!

For every person that benefits fromt he insurance there are hundreds that do not.

Keith
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 07:28 AM

Sarvowinner

It is true that when an unforeseen medical condition or injury, etc. strikes any of oneself, one's travelling companions, one's immediate family, and/or one's host at destination, many travel medical insurance policies will cover the kind of scenario you had with your father. It must have been a great relief to you not to have had this additional financial worry at such an emotionally wrenching time.

However, the OP was not involved in a medical scenario at all, nor even a case of missed connection. A legal connection is one that is part of a single itinerary ticket. As others have pointed out, the OP's was a case of separate itineraries, each of which 'stands alone' so to speak. UA cancelled (and subsequently rescheduled) their flight - an all too common occurrence these days, which is why most policies, including yours, take care not to cover it. Look under part 10 of your policy's 'Exclusions:' (part 10) - "Delays, rescheduling or cancellation of scheduled transport services caused by the carrier or related to the carrier’ including maintenance, repairs, rescheduling, service faults, industrial activity other than a strike, corporate takeover...."

Even the section covered under '2E- Travel Delay' wouldn't have helped much, assuming it could have applied. The policy reimburses expenses actually paid, as opposed to giving compensation for a hotel one couldn't book because of lack of room availability.

In short, the fine print of most policies is fine indeed.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 08:38 AM

There are travel insurance policies that cover mis-connections, no matter the cause. That coverage is limited, though, and may not be enough for buy a new ticket to get to your destination.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

I haven't received too much help with my posting. How do I book one ticket on-line when BA doesn't fly from Jacksonville and it's US affiliate is American Airlines which connects through Chicago Thats not very feasible! Yes, there were no rooms available, there'd been an explosion near the Central Library and people had been displaced. I do have a medical insurance policy for when I'm out of the US and it covers all medical emergencies and repatriation etc. I don't think everyone should have to buy insurance in case their plane is delayed or cancelled. My error was falling for the spiel that if I flew to NY and then flew BA I could have a relaxing flight over the Atlantic and not have to pay business class prices. It would seem only those residing near NYC should have responded.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 07:36 AM

Anncor1 -

I don't know the specifics, but you can usually get the US/BA flights on the same ticket using a travel agent (whether it's online or a brick-and-mortar one). Or perhaps just by calling BA. It may cost you a few more dollars, but it's very worth the trouble.

As for travel insurance. They exist for a reason. If you can tolerate the risk, and absorb the consequence of not having it, fine. But you can't have it both ways - you don't think you need it, but then when things happen you complain.

I also don't see the issue with connecting in ORD on AA, rather than JFK. It doesn't add THAT MUCH total travel time. Or you can also go through Miami.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 07:43 AM

BTW, I think if you come here to ask first about buying a ticket flying JAX-CLT-JFK to connect to a longhaul international flight, same day and separate ticket, you'll immediately get two dozens of replies telling it's a very very bad idea. The chance of something going wrong and you miss the longhaul is way too high.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Think of it this way, at least you were better off than the poster who had to pay an extra $6500 http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34533129

This is the risk you take when purchasing separate tickets.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 01:14 PM

Maybe it was the time you were flying, but United has flights that go to LHR, and there are tons of flights on Delta, Continental, etc. I travel internationally alot, and when it's for personal travel, if I'm doing a hop, I'll usually go in the night before to the international airport, then catch the second flight. I'm missed connections due to air traffic, so I work really hard to either a) come in the day before if I'm flying 2 airlines, or b) take the same airline all the way through (in your case, the United would probably have been my pick. American also has flights that go through Miami - I probably would have driven to Miami and flown from there..... Anyway, I always make sure I do code share flights, because your issue mentioned definitely does happen..... I hope you still have a good vacation....
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 03:49 PM

You realize that's a 6-hour drive, right?
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 06:34 AM

I've driven from Hartford to Philly to get an international flight - so I probably would drive 6 hours (it's a nice drive), or you can take a shuttle (air), which is VERY short. For the vacation Anncor1 was talking about - yeah, I would have driven to Miami.... I don't personally like flying through JFK, so I'd go through a little extra trouble...
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 04:27 AM

I too would have assumed that the OP was referring to Jacksonville, Florida, except for the routing via Charlotte, which made me think anncor1 might just possibly have meant Jacksonville, NC. ( I realize in hindsight that this is unlikely given the proximity of Charlotte to Jacksonville NC and the consequent unlikeliness of a Jetblue flight, but the principle is apt: be specific about locations, it helps avoid confusion.)

Locals to the NYC area aren't going to necessarily know about routing via NYC when they live there. (One of the joys of living in a major airline gateway!) What you have here anncor1 is a choice, part of which RKKwan has outlined - take the risk, take out insurance (if you can find a decent policy - I have never been successful). Or - the third alternative: at the time you book your flights, plan to break up the trip with an overnight. We travel to various destinations in Europe via London on two tix all the time, and overnight in London. We consider it to be cost effective given the generally lower cost of two separate, as opposed to one single, ticket - not to mention the penalties for missing flights that you describe. Not to mention that advance booking of hotels is usually cheaper than booking at the last minute. No, this method doesn't eliminate the risk of two tickets entirely, but it reduces it a lot, and gives us a nice break between flights in an interesting city. In your case, that city would have been NYC. (or Miami, or Boston, or Chicago, or whichever major gateway from which you are scheduled to depart or arrive on your overseas flight.)

I'm sorry about the aggravation. Take some heart in remembering that in yesteryear, airline tickets were almost always easy to exchange or refund, but also always cost proportionately much higher, since everyone paid the 'penalties' up front. Better luck next time (and next time, people here will be happy to review your proposed itinerary, along with any possible flaws, BEFORE you commit to it.)