Question about “refundable” ticket on Air France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2021, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m looking to buy one way tickets from CDG - Copenhagen in July. There is one flight that would work the best, though the cost is high ($575.00 per person for Business Class). When I look at the booking engine it says the flight is changeable and refundable, Quote: "Refund before the trip; Before the departure of your first outbound flight, you can apply for a refund at no extra costs if you cancel your flight".

This might be a stupid question, but does it mean that if I cancel, I get my money back? I’m thinking that the fare may go down - should I wait, or just book it? Or will I run into problems if I try that.

Thank you so much - i’ve never tried this so appreciate your help.
Old Dec 20th, 2021, 05:37 PM

A “refundable ticket” is just that. It’s refundable as in you can get your money back if you cancel for any reason prior to departure.

Whether or not the ticket price will go down between now and your planned date of departure is anyone’s guess. If it does, and you previously purchased a “refundable ticket” at a higher price there is nothing to stop you from canceling the flight, getting your refund and repurchasing a ticket at the lower price.

Old Dec 22nd, 2021, 08:48 AM

I wouldn't do that myself but I guess it depends on your habits. I gather you like AF as you could buy cheaper tickets right now on other airlines, but maybe not ones with business class. I guess SAS is higher? If you only want business, I think you are paying about $150 for that flexible ticket over the regular business fare, is that correct? And the regular business fare is completely changeable for free up to departure. So if you mainly think you want to book another AF flights, why pay for a fully flexible ticket when the regular ones are changeable for free. Now the only thing is I don't know the policy on refunding a fare difference if the new fare is lower, you'd have to check on that. I know that is probably difficult nowadays, but I think their policy used to be if the new fare was lower, you got the refund but only in a "travel voucher". If you fly with AF regularly, that's no big deal, as you'll be able to use it.

I just personally would not pay about an extra 33 pct for a ticket just because I thought I would cancel it when I could change it for free without that addon. Plus I guess I don't think that fare is so bad and would not be confident you will get business class cheaper. Looks like that's what it costs right now for February, for example. But that's just speculation. But if the fare doesn't go down, you are just wasting your money.

Last edited by Christina; Dec 22nd, 2021 at 08:52 AM.
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 09:55 AM

Air France website has two nonstops CDG->CPH on July 2.
9:20 departure at $633
12:30 departure at $454

Both are one-way Business Flex fares and include the same features, including:
  • Ticket changes permitted (only pay possible fare difference)
  • Refundable for flights scheduled on or before 30 June 2022**
  • Refundable if you cancel before the 1st flight in your trip

** Refundable in form of a voucher if you cancel before the 1st flight in your trip. Vouchers are refundable and valid for 1 year from date of issue.

Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 10:03 AM

Here are a couple of links:
Air France Protect: Our commitment to making your trip safe and flexible | Air France

This one is useful if, like me, you are not sure that you completely understand the meaning of 'refundable in the form of a voucher that is refundable'.
FAQ - Travel voucher | Air France
Old Dec 23rd, 2021, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your helpful responses.

That particular flight (departing at 9:20) on Air France works into our timing (we will be leaving Paris for Copenhagen, and some of the family will be returning to Los Angeles at the same time), so I was trying to coordinate the van from our apartment to CDG - as well as getting to Copenhagen earlier in the day. We would be just fine with coach class, but AF is showing almost the same fare on economy as on business ( and the business was refundable). That lead to my question.

I think I’ll keep an eye on it and see if it drops…crossing fingers. Good to know, though, that “refundable” means what I thought it did. Thank you!
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 10:14 AM

EasyJet fly from CDG to CPH on the 2nd July at 0610/0805 and costs around €41 without luggage & extras. Norwegian also fly the route but not on the 2nd.
Both offer flex fares.

Last edited by balthy; Dec 28th, 2021 at 10:16 AM.