Problems checking in for BA flight

Apr 30th, 2019, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Problems checking in for BA flight

We are leaving tonight, flying AA from CLT to LHR. We have a 12 hour layover in London before continuing on to VCE on a BA flight. These were booked together as a single ticket.

I was able to check in and print our boarding passes for the CLT-LHR portion last night at the 24 hour mark. However I wasn't able to check in for the BA flight to VCE. I'm assuming this is because we are still outside of our 24 hour check-in window as that flight doesn't leave until 8:15 pm on May 1?

When I go to BA to check in I get redirected to AA. When I get to the AA website it shows us as already checked in. Does anyone know if this means we are indeed checked in for our BA flight? If so, do I just print off our boarding passes when we get to London? I want to make sure we keep our seats together (we are a family of 4, with two 9 year olds).

I've flown to Europe a few dozen times but never experienced this. Of course I've also never had a 12 hour layover either.

Thanks!
Tracy
Apr 30th, 2019, 05:31 AM
J62

I'd just ask AA agent at CLT when you get to the airport. They'll be tagging any bags through to VCE if you have them. If you don't have checked bags, they can make sure you are checked in and have BPs.
Apr 30th, 2019, 08:03 AM

>>they can make sure you are checked in and have BPs.<<

Yep -- you'll get both boarding passes at CLT (you are likely already checked for both flights since they are on the same booking but if not, the AA agent at CLT will take care of things for you)
Apr 30th, 2019, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Duh never thought to ask the agent at CLT. I've been so busy preparing for the trip that my mind is elsewhere apparently! Thank you both. I will check with the AA agent tonight.
Apr 30th, 2019, 09:43 AM

I've never had to check in separately for any flight that had a connection when that was the way I booked it. In the US, for example, I take lots of flights that require connections in one city, you never have to check in twice.
Apr 30th, 2019, 04:39 PM
J62

The difference here is that the two flights are operated by different airlines, so she can't be 100% sure she's checked in for the BA flight to Venice.

Well, I'm sure she does in fact know by now as the AA flight CLT to LHR departed 2 hrs ago.
May 1st, 2019, 04:20 PM

I hope it worked out ok as I had a problem with a 19 hr layover booked under 1 ticket on Lufhansia/United back in November. When at the airport checkin for the first flight, the agent said she couldn't check me in for the second flight. I was past the 24 hrs check in so couldn't understand this. She kept saying it was tomorrow. Yes at 9am when it was 12 pm when trying to get my ticket the day before. She also said she couldn't check my luggage all the way through. I had no choice and had to pick it up to check in again in the morning. It was more of an annoyance than anything and the lady couldn't answer my questions.