Porter Airlines

Jan 11th, 2019, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Porter Airlines

This is an excerpt from my recent TR on the Canada forum. I am posting this because there is very little about this airline on this forum so I hope it is of interest. This was our first and so far only experience with Porter Airlines.

It was a good thing we got to the airport in Montreal early because upon arrival we learned that our flight had been cancelled. We received a notification of same from Porter at about the same time. Heading over to the Porter desk we were met by a very friendly counter rep whose response was "no problem, I can get you on an earlier flight and he did. Even though we were traveling with carry ons only the airline did a gate check of baggage which was fine with us since it speeds up boarding. I had expected a poor on time experience with Porter based on reviews and was not disappointed. Our new flight left about a half hour late or about half way between its original schedule and the time of our cancelled flight.

Flying from Montreal to the US, Porter goes through its Toronto Hub. In Toronto, Porter flies into Billy Bishop airport which is practically in downtown Toronto and the views of the city as we were landing were spectacular. If one was flying into Toronto and a Porter flight is available it could be a good idea as there is a free shuttle downtown which only takes a few minutes so you will save both time and transfer costs. Billy Bishop is a lovely airport with waiting areas that are several steps above the usual, read soft armchairs rather than those hard plastic ones. Upon landing we were met by an agent who separated those flying domestically from those of traveling outside of Canada and with group assembled accompanied us to the international waiting area. At that time I found that not only did the agent in Montreal book us on an earlier flight to Toronto, he also booked us on an earlier flight to DC so in the end we got to DC a few hours earlier than expected. Our new flight was about 20 minutes late.

The plane Porter uses is a Bombadier C400 which is a two engined high wing turboprop. The interior is modern and bright and the seatsare two on each side of the aisle. Although Seat guru indicates otherwise, the pitch between the rows feels roomy - the person in front of me leaned back his seat and it did not impinge on my space in any significant way and this is something I am sensitive about. The free snacks served are also several cuts above the usual teeny bag of pretzels. There was a choice of large shortbread cookies (these where also available for the taking in the airport lounge) name brand chips, almonds and a few other snack - all of these in normal sized supermarket packaging. The beverages were also a cut above with the usual suspects including Starbucks coffee as well as free wine and beer. All served in normal sized glasses. In my limited experience, Porter personnel was without exception friendly and courteous and although Porter's history of on time departures is not a particularly good one, overall it was a good experience and in my one example, Porter treats its passengers well.
treats its passengers well.
Jan 11th, 2019, 08:52 AM

Thanks for your report on this airline - I wasn't familiar with it.
Jan 12th, 2019, 07:45 AM

Porter would dearly like to fly small jets from Billy Bishop but has met political opposition; there is a wall of high-rise, prosperous condo towers on the lakefront.
I agree with your positive evaluations. However, the Internet contains a fair number of complaints about delays and last-minute cancellations. That's been my experience too, recently.
Jan 12th, 2019, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Yes. I read of the complaints and in my experience they are true since we had one cancelled flight and two delayed. However, at least in my experience of these past few years, delayed flights are becoming the norm rather than the exception. Twice I have had the experience where even a time of 3 hours for a connection turned out to be not enough. In my one experience, Porter's customer service made up for the inconvenience particularly since I was on the way back so no particular rush.
Jan 15th, 2019, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

There is one thing that I should add, and that is the airline's magazine found at your seat. It is well written and has one unique feature that IMO other airlines would do well to emulate. That is, for each airport they service, they have the distance from the airport to downtown, the cost of a taxi to downtown wherever and the public transportation available and cost to downtown and approximate time that each takes. That is really handy. For the few airports that I knew, the data were correct and up to date.