Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

This is a good read for the people that think airlines cancel flights because of light loads

Search

This is a good read for the people that think airlines cancel flights because of light loads

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://tinyurl.com/2ppjgw

Think again....
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 01:52 AM

That's an eye opener, but applaud the airline for as they say 'honouring their remaining clients' etc.

suppose that's one way to get an upgrade!!
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Original Poster

I believe AA's response to the story was more of a good PR than anything else.

I believe they did it for 2 other more important reasons:

1. Cargo - very profitable

2. Return - they probably had 200+ passengers waiting for the return flight

and only then did the 5 remaining passengers come into play...

but nevertheless that's the reality. Airlines don't cancel flights just because of light loads. It's an "urban myth".

Occasionally a flight between 2 major hubs may be cancelled because the plane/crew may be needed somewhere else but that happens on routes that have departures every hour so it's easy to accomodate the few passengers and it only delays their plans by an hour or 2 at most.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 02:09 AM

On a recent trip home from Toronto using USAirways the incoming connection I was to take out of PHL had to be towed to a hangar after arrival.

We were switched to an incoming flight originally bound for Montreal. There were only about five people waiting to board for Montreal. There were a BUNCH of us waiting to go to DCA, however.

Once the plane was unloaded the gate agent made a very terse announcement that the flight to Montreal was cancelled and those five folks were sent elsewhere for re-booking; we loaded and took off for DCA.

Coincidence? Not IMO but obviously good for business since it was more economical to fly a plane full of people and re-book the others on a later flight.

Business isn't easy to do and how soon are we going to hear about a possible merger with American and whatever is left over?
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 02:54 AM

Sometimes cargo pays for the entire flight, in which case passengers are simply gravy, and the airline can easily afford to "honor remaining clients."
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 12:05 PM

I have a German friend who was the ONLY passenger on a 340 from ORD to FRA. The flight the day before had been delayed due to weather. Everyone else must have found other flights. My friend decided to wait for LH rather than take a US carrier. Lucky him. He had first class service!

I'm reading this article with a lot of interest because a UA 777 flt I have from BKK-NRT-ORD in early May has only about a dozen passengers on the NRT to ORD portion at this time. I know, more seats will fill up in the meantime... but a girl can hope, can't she??? Five seats across would be wonderful!!!

Carol
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 08:52 PM

AA is notorious here in ORD for cancelling flights when they are light.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 04:30 AM

I doubt anyone without insider information could tell whether a canceled flight is due to a light load or other cause.

If the cargo isn't enough to justify a flight, they still have the problem of a plane and flight crew in the wrong location. A plane flying from x to y is in all probability the same plane that will fly from y to z after a short stayover, and from z to wherever the next day, so canceling the flight from x to y leaves them with an extra plane in x, and short a plane in y, z, and wherever, so it makes more sense to fly the near empty plane, than to scare up multiple planes at other places, and eventually get the plane from x back in service. They face the same complications with flight crews.

I'm not saying they don't change flight schedules. If the route from x to y is consistently underused, they would either cancel the route, or assign a smaller aircraft, but the idea that they would cancel a single flight because too few passengers showed up doesn't make a lot of sense, with the possible exception involving a hub airport where they have extra planes and crews readily available, and can squeeze in some maintenance.

I applaud their PR staff for putting a good light on a routine business decision.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 03:49 PM

My first thought was the same as Clevelandbrown's - there could have been a full complement of passengers waiting to board the plane to return to the US or wherever. I am sure they would have been very happy to find out their flight was cancelled and they all had to make alternate arrangement.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 09:11 AM

To Duty Free-

I couldn't agree with you more!! When I saw the title of this post, the first thing I thought of was AA and flights out of and into OHare.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Cleveland Brown-trust me,I have insider information on the cancellations!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

I'll say it again - <b>urban myth</b>

Old Mar 12th, 2008, 05:50 PM

Perhaps I' jaundiced from a lifetime of pursuing the truth, but when someone says trust me, I have inside information proving my point, I put that &quot;evidence&quot; in the circular file.
But I'm sure dutyfree is an exception to this rule. Do you also have a cure for baldness and old age?
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 06:15 PM

I believe dutyfree is an insider in the biz. From prior posts, I think she is or was an airline steward(ess).
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 07:58 PM

AAFF - sorry, I don't buy it. To many friends who work in the industry have told me otherwise. I even once had an agent flat out admit that the reason my flight was canceled was because there were not enough passengers. With flights so full these days its is probably a less frequent occurrence, but it does happen.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 09:03 AM

My NBO-CDG flight on KQ was cancelled due to light load at the end of January. MANY people were cancelling their trips to Kenya, so that was the result. Agent at the airport told me str8 up that was the reason. Couple weeks later they suspended the route altogether until further notice. For a few weeks, though, the cancellation was near (if not) 100% for that route...due to light load. Must not be THAT much of an urban myth.