paper or etickets

Feb 17th, 2001, 02:56 AM
Kathy

paper or etickets

Our daughter is doing a study abroad in Europe this spring. She will fly directly to Gatwick from our hometown and will return two months later, flying directly from FCO in Rome to Newark and will then make connections to get home. I don't know whether paper or etickets would be best for her. Looking back through the archives, I have seen that some people have had problems with etickets if flight changes were made. On the other hand, etickets are better in case of theft or loss. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Feb 17th, 2001, 05:42 AM
Djick

You're right, there are problems with both. Suggest this: ask the airline if she can request a paper ticket when she gets to Europe for the return portion of her trip. It's unlikely she'll have trouble on the US-Gatwick leg, but who knows what will happen when she is trying to get home, what with all those connections, spring/summer weather, and looming strikes. If they will let her wait 'til 2 weeks before she heads home and can go to some ticket office in Rome to get a paper ticket, she'll be in better shape.

Failing that, I'd tell her to get a paper ticket and make several photocopies of it. Treat the real ticket like diamonds, using whatever security measures (safes, etc.) are available to her, and keep the copies tucked in each piece of luggage and any other hiding places she can think of.

Theoretically, the ticket's of no use to anyone who doesn't have her passport and isn't her twin, but there are all kinds of ways around that for the truly ingenious.

But given the choice, I wouldn't trust her return trip to an e-ticket. Too many ways to be stuck sleeping in an airport.

Feb 19th, 2001, 06:31 PM
mcd

E-tickets are totally safe. Think this that if she loses a paper ticket it will be a horror story. She will have to buy a brand new ticket and then get reimbursed on it within 3 months minus a 75 dollar fee. I use e-tickets all the time and as a travel agent recommend the same. When getting an e-ticket you always get a passengger receipt so all you have to do is make a copy of that receipt, which will have the flights, the price and the confirmation number on it, so airlines will be able to use it. Just keep in consideration that an e-ticket can be issued only on a carrier that operates each leg of the flight, so in essence if she was flying over the water on United let's say and within Europe on Lufthansa an e-ticket would be out of the question. Same thing applies for code shared flights. If she is a student she should be able to get a much cheaper ticket and it would have to be an e-ticket. Try STA Travel at www.statravel.com. They have over 200 offices all over the world and in the event that she did lose her ticket, most likely they have an affiliate in any major city in Europe that would be able to reissue a lost ticket within 48 hours and for a 25.00 US fee. That would be the smart way to go.

Feb 20th, 2001, 04:42 AM
Doris

Had an e-ticket. Missed connection late at night (last flight to home). Could have made it on another airline but they wouldn't recognize the ticket. Had to sleep in the terminal.

Friend had e-ticket. Airline went on strike. Some other airlines would accept the ticket but not to her destination. Had to purchase new ticket and try to get refund out of original airline.

Nuff said.

Apr 16th, 2001, 11:23 PM
customer service

Doris,

If you had a paper ticket and a discounted fare, you still would have had to stand in line to get the ticket endorsed to the other airline. They don't just accept other airline tickets unless they are full fare. In the case of a strike, there is usually ample warning so one can get etickets printed out. And in the case of a strike there is usually a blanket agreement among airlines.

Apr 17th, 2001, 04:38 AM
Cuss the customer?

Hey, Customer Service! Up at 3 am and full of yourself pointing out the errors of everyone's ways on this forum?

Apr 17th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Maggie

Ample warning in case of a strike, you say. My secretary is flying on Delta within the new two months. When she realized they most likely will strike, she asked for a paper ticket to replace her e-ticket. Delta refused.

Nuff said.

Apr 18th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Joni

advantage of e ticket, you won't lose it, but let the computer go down and you lost your flight and have the nightmare of your life...and other airlines do not honor something not in your hand

Apr 19th, 2001, 11:49 AM
barb

Just curious Joni, Did this actually happen to you??? Last time I flew to Vegas the computer WAS down. I don't know how they did it but we had NO problem getting on our flight. There were also probably thousands of folks in the same situation that day at Ohare but we all made our flights. I've used e-tickets for years and never had a problem even through canceled flights and down computers.

Jun 19th, 2001, 06:52 AM
topper

Topped for other post.

Jun 23rd, 2001, 10:46 AM
Marilyn

If you have an e-ticket and feel a bit uncomfortable about it ask for a faxed reciept for the purchase and acarry that with you. I always do that and so far have had no problem but think it could help if there are any computer glitches. I would at least have my flight and other info with me.