Open Return Ticket When Purchasing Online

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2022, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Years back when I bought airline tickets through travel agencies or ticket brokers, I was able to to buy round-trip tickets at discounted price with open return reservation. Now when everyone seems to buy tickets though online, I wonder if it is still possible to leave return portion open. The only ways I can see doing this is either buy one-way tickets or pay a rescheduling fee after making a reservation on tentative date because it does not process your round trip inquiry without the return date. Anyone knows?
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 07:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Since in response to covid travel disruptions, most airlines have liberalized or eliminated change fees, it is usually possible to book a regular R-T ticket with any future date and then change the return date later when one decides to fly home. Now IF the fare has gone up, you would have to pay the difference, but the old 'change fees' are gone (except for the very lowest 'basic economy' stripped down/nothing included fares) Also. if you are traveling overseas, many countries require one to have a return ticket for entry
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 02:21 PM

....if you are traveling overseas, many countries require one to have a return ticket for entry.... I really think that may be an often cited urban legend. Our experience in over 30 years of European travel is that we have never been asked to show a return ticket. It is possible I suppose. Prior to retirement we always had a return ticket because we were on a schedule. Since retirement 15+ years ago, about half of our trips do not have a scheduled return date since we are looking for a business class, ff, return ticket and need a little flexibility.

A few years ago when our son studied abroad, we had to have an open return ticket. We called the airline (United) directly to book an open ended ticket. The only restriction was he had to call two weeks in advance of his return date to make the return reservation. I would talk with an agent directly and see what they would recommend.

Last edited by fmpden; Jan 30th, 2022 at 02:24 PM.
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you @fmpden and @janisj for valuable information. I guess i need to contact airlines for open return tickets. Good to know that it is still possible to buy them.
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 11:25 PM

You can still call travel agents/brokers/wholesalers/airlines directly and ask for open return tickets. If the fare rules of what you want to book allow it, you can have an open return, some can be yearly tickets, others 3 months etc.

But one way fares can be the best way to go, long gone are the days when a return ticket was always cheaper than two one ways. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t, it’s case by case.

I’ve never been asked at immigration if I have a return ticket in any country I’ve been to but I’m sure someone will jump in with a recent example. Usually I’m asked how long am I staying but that’s as far as it goes.