open jaws tickets

Feb 14th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

open jaws tickets

I'm planning a trip to London/Paris this spring, but I haven't discovered how one makes an "open jaws" reservation online (e.g. with Travelocity). We want to fly to Paris, take the Eurostar to London, and return from London. Any suggestions how to do this online?
Thanks for any help!
Birthe
Feb 14th, 2006, 07:42 AM

On Travelocity's flight planner, click "multi destination" (it's in small print below where you choose the number of travelers). That will bring up a page where you can type in your proposed route.

Some other sites use the term "multi city."

Good luck.
Feb 14th, 2006, 07:43 AM

To the best of my knowledge, you won't be able to book these all at once online. The train portion will have to be booked separately. If you prefer Travelocity, go to the home page and click the link at the bottom of the search box that says "Multi-destination." This will let you book a flight to Paris and then back from London. The Eurostar portion will have to be booked separately.

I'd also suggest looking at some of the travel aggregators out there. The one I work for, PriceGrabber.com, doesn't have open jaw functionality yet, but you can go to Kayak.com and do it. Enter your dates and they'll search dozens of sites for the best fares. Then when you're ready to book, they refer you directly to the booking website.
Feb 14th, 2006, 08:59 AM

Unfortunately, you can book an open-jaw ticket on the British Airways web site. You can call them toll-free and unfortunately there is a service charge.

Expedia and Orbitz does open jaw. I would try the Airline's web site first to see if you could book it there. Beside, often you get more frequent flyer miles.
Feb 14th, 2006, 09:36 AM

as posted by wally34949

Unfortunately, you can book an open-jaw ticket on the British Airways web site. You can call them toll-free and unfortunately there is a service charge.

Expedia and Orbitz does open jaw. I would try the Airline's web site first to see if you could book it there. Beside, often you get more frequent flyer miles.

are you drinking again?

what the hell are you talking about?
Feb 14th, 2006, 09:38 AM

You can do an open jaw using BA via the American airlines site. Pick the other options and then pick the option for AA,and oneworld flights. BA should come up as an option. this will avoid the off-line fee for BA.
However, compare the prices on BA.com with the aa.com site. Occasionally I found that aa.com is actually higher. So doing BA by phone may still be the most cost effective way.
Feb 14th, 2006, 10:32 AM

I can say with pride that with the hundreds of posts I have made on this website, I've never been rude to anyone. And I guess I will just leave it at that.

If anyone knows how to do an Open-Jaw ticket on the BA website, please let me know. I know it is possible to do a stopover.

And if you book the flight with BA on their website or telephone with a BA Credit Card, you get double FF miles. Just think, Miami to Sydney--that's $27,000 First Class without restrictions. That's 54,000 FF miles. Trouble is, my credit card has an $8,000 limit.
Feb 14th, 2006, 10:42 AM

My sincere apologies for the comments about open jaw booking possibility on BA.com. I was thinking stopover. Sorry!
Feb 14th, 2006, 12:24 PM

If anyone knows how to do an Open-Jaw ticket on the BA website, please let me know. I know it is possible to do a stopover.

Open-jaw at destination is not possible on the BA site. Open-jaw at origin is. One of many (that's MANY) inadequacies on the site. Try seat selection sometime.

AA.com is my preferred method; you get your AAdvantage number put right into the PNR, you get AA miles for on-line booking, and you can do open-jaws, multiple-stops, "all carrier" options - the works. Plus you're not rewarding BA (or Expedia et al) with a booking bounty.

The only reasons to use the BA site or their call cent(er/re)s are (a) if they're offering promo fares that AA or the online agencies don't have access to, or (b) if you want to book World Traveler Plus, which none of the others (except expedia.co.uk) can handle.

For the benefit of the OP or anyone else that doesn't know, one cannot earn AA miles on BA flights from the US to/from London, nor BA miles on AA flights between London and the US.
Feb 14th, 2006, 01:01 PM

Sudden update - the official BA "lurker" on flyertalk.com announced today that BA will be implementing Open Jaw functionality on britishairways.com sometime "later this week."

We shall see...
Feb 14th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all who replied to my question! I really love this site!
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:24 PM
KT

"For the benefit of the OP or anyone else that doesn't know, one cannot earn AA miles on BA flights from the US to/from London, nor BA miles on AA flights between London and the US."

And you can't even join BA's own FF program, much less earn miles, on a discounted economy class ticket.
Feb 14th, 2006, 11:02 PM

For the Eurostar book a return ticket - it's cheaper than a single.

And no they don't get upset if you don't use the return portion.