Open end round trip???

Search

Open end round trip???

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2003, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Open end round trip???

My daughter is spending the fall semester in Italy, flying over in August and returning in December. I am shopping a fare right now but we don't know when she is coming home. Has anyone done this open ended round trip on the net?
Thanks
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:33 PM

The least expensive way to do it is to find a cheap ticket with picked dates, and just make sure the ticket could be changed for a fee, depending on the airlines anywhere from $100-$150. So let's say your kid knows she wants to leave on August 15 and return sometime at the end of December. So pick a close date for return and once she is ready all she has to do is call and change the ticket.
The very expensive way is to buy a full fare economy ticket which allows you to change as you please without charges, but that ticket is very expensive. I'm sure there is a fare somewhere in between the two, that leaves the reurn open but I would guess my first suggestion would still be cheaper.
Go to Travelocity.com, and when you get to the front page, you will see a small window for Flights Only, click on the advanced search, enter you info and make sure that instead of doing particular dates, click on My dates are flexible. Once the search is done, you will see different airlines offering different fares. Click on "Rules" and read carefully, again looking to make sure the ticket is changeable for a fee, and also that the ticket is good for 6-12 months after onward journey. The ticket could be non-refundable as that does not stop you from changing it as long as the rules allow it. Once you find the fare and airline that matches your needs, you could go ahead and book it through Travelocity for I believe $5-10 charge. I'm not sure about that since I never purchased one from them.
Good Luck!
Old May 6th, 2003, 05:02 AM

You will most probably looking at an "APEX" fare, usually booked in "B" or maybe "M" class of service depending on which carrier you select.That is good, because flights from Italy to US in December fill up very rapidly.Most of these fares allow changes to the return for $200.In addition,they seasonal and the fare is higher for weekend travel.So you'll expect the $200 change fee,plus additonal maybe $50-75 for high season(December)travel and another $40-50 say for travel on the weekend if she does that.It is very easy and not problematic at all.In addition this is most likely the only fare type you will find accomodating your needs as it allows her to stay 6 months.Lower fares allow only a maximum of 2 months which won't work.
Old May 9th, 2003, 03:48 AM

You've gotten some good advice about tickets from AAFrequentFlyer and BeachBoi. Just an idea: you might take a look at getting two round trip tickets. Either both departing from home (providing a mid-term trip home for her) or one departing from home and the other from Italy in December.

But, surely the school has established it's fall schedule by now, no? If you can't find it on the web, you might pop over the Europe board and ask about the school, if you haven't done so already.
Old May 9th, 2003, 05:14 AM

I have somewhat of the same problem.Son is leaving in August for Italy out of Chicago and staying for the entire school year.He will be coming home at Christmas but the added on airfare for August to December is about $1200 round trip.Doesn't that seem extremely high? Why is Italy to the States so full in December?Thanks-
Old May 9th, 2003, 06:44 AM

Dec 15 to Jan 15 many foreign flites to the US are packed solid.Holiday Tradition.Yes that $1200 is high, but if you want him home for Christmas, thats what I'd look to have to pay.Just not many ways around it.HTH
S
Old May 10th, 2003, 03:52 PM

Rodi,

Check travel agencies which specialize in student travel, like
www.statravel.com

They can often book special student fares which allow open returns. I would call, rather than try to book on the web.

Hope this helps,
Andre