Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Olympic Airlines Carry-on Restrictions Enforcement

Apr 23rd, 2009, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

I will be flying from JFK to Athens on Delta Airlines and will have 2 carry-on items, a standard-sized rolling carry-on bag and a large purse. I will fly from Athens to Thessaloniki on Olympic Airlines. While Delta allows 40lbs/18kg per bag, Olympic only allows 17lbs 10oz/8kg. I'm sure my purse will be within the limit but am concerned about my other bag. Does anyone have experience with Olympic Airlines' enforcement of the carry-on weight restriction?
Apr 23rd, 2009, 02:51 PM

As a general rule... the European airlines MEAN what they say. Unlike the US where I have watched folks routinely "fluant" the rules in Europe it's not near as loosely enforced.
Apr 23rd, 2009, 03:34 PM

I know nothing about Olympic, but while many European airlines have weight limits on carryons, the vast majority of cabin bags are simply NOT weighed.

Even on my flight on Ryanair (10kg), my fairly large (but within size limits) bag was not weighed.
Apr 23rd, 2009, 04:41 PM

seriously - why do people ask on boards like fodors (And flyertalk, and frommers etc) if a particular airline is going to enforce a rule on their flight? What if Olympic USUALLY lets you on but that day there's a problem and they start weighing bags.

Or as i have had happen at Heathrow, there's a terrorist scare and they start enforcing every little rule they can. Knowing what an airline usually does is no guarantee they will do the same thing the next day.
Apr 24th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Mztery,

If you notice, I didn't ask whether Olympic will be enforcing their rules on my particular flight. I specifically asked about prior experiences, since prior experiences are often an indicator, although NOT a guarantee, of future practice.

Additionally, why do people take the time and effort to post purposefully unhelpful replies?