Reload this Page >

ok to carry on Swiss army knife?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 07:10 AM
peg

Appreciate any quick replies--leaving 2/26! Will I have problems clearing airport security if I have a full size swiss army knife in my carry-on bag? should I just put in checked bag? thanks!

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 05:16 PM
Paul Rabe

My wife was stopped by security for having a butter knife in her carry-on luggage (she needed something to press down on the rub-off letters on her poster at a professional meeting). A knife with an actual sharp blade will invoke even more suspicion, I'm sure. I'd just pack it in a checked bag lest you spend twenty minutes trying to explain why you think you need a sharp blade during a flight.

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 07:00 PM
ron

I've owned a Swiss Army Knife since 1991 and it has been in my pocket on over 100 flights since. I just toss it into the tray with my change and keys to go thru the metal detector; no one has ever questioned my right to carry it on to the airplane. I suspect they would want to see it if it was inside a carry-on, which may slow you down going thru security.

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 07:50 AM
Iveson

I would check it. In Paris once I had to discard a corkscrew because they wouldn't allow it on the plane in my carry-on bag.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 08:24 AM
peg

Hi all -- thanks for the feedback. I'll check it. (upon reflection, the best answer was more obvious than I thought. <BR>