No Crew for Plane

Old May 27th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Crew for Plane

My wife was scheduled to leave KCI on United airlines at 8:50 am....was informed that there wasn't a crew avaialable for that flight so she is leaveing at 12:40. How do you not have a crew for a plane?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:49 AM

There are mandatory rest times as well as union rules, etc that limit how much a pilot can fly. The previous night's flight into KCI may have been severly delayed.

Or maybe one of the crew simply got sick this morning or have an emergency and they have to fly another pilot to KCI.

Plenty of reasons why you'll have a plane and no crew.
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:51 AM

x, its probabaly more common than you think.

in jan. my ua flt from nola to denver was cancelled due to lack of crew, and i had to rebook myself on usair via charlotte to den. i forgot to reset my watch an hour ahead, and nearly missed the flt. lol.
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:51 AM

easy, irregular ops the night before, late arrival (union rules require 8+ hours of rest), illness, etc.

According to FAA rules there has to be a certain number of FAs on a plane, and even if it's one short, then it's a no go.

Old May 27th, 2008, 12:38 PM

My husband travels frequently - until this year he had never had this happen, and it has already caused flight delays 3 times since Jan.

My guess - redundancy of any kind is expensive. Just as there used to be extra planes, seats, food - this is no longer the case. And flight crews have to get to departure location as well - and for some it is not the city in which they actually live. The flight crews can get caught up in the same annoying delays and cancellations we all face.
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:49 AM

The basic rest requirements are set by the federal aviation regulations...not the unions. Union contracts could then require more. But the 8 hours (sometimes as much as 10 depending on how much flying is scheduled) is not set by unions.

The 8 hours rest isn't all rest either. If you pilot lands at midnight, they still have to drive to the hotel, get checked in, and relax in order to fall asleep. They then need to wake up early to get showered/dressed and drive back to the airport. Most of the time your pilots and f/a's have gotten 6 hours of sleep at the most.