Newlywed name problem

Old Jun 12th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newlywed name problem

My son is getting married next month and has made arrangements for a honeymoon in St. Martin. When he bought airline tickets (AA through Expedia) he used his bride's new name. We are concerned he will have trouble with her identification when leaving or, worse, returning. AA told us we will need an official wedding license to ID the new name. In Texas, the official wedding license is sent a few weeks after the ceremony. They are leaving on their honeymoon the day after the ceremony. Expedia will not reissue tickets with her maiden name.

Anyone had a similar experience? Any suggestions? I can't believe this doesn't happen fairly often.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 09:03 AM

Hi,

If I remember right you get a marraige certificate from the church. It is not the offical one but it does have the brides maiden name along with her married name and the churches seal. I would think that would be enough.
You also might check the TSA web site.

Bob
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 11:38 AM

They might be screwed. The bride's passport should be in her maiden name and if it doesn't match the name on the ticket she may be denied boarding unless she purchases a new ticket in her maiden name at the walk up fare which will = $$$$$$$$$$$$.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 02:18 PM

I searched on TSA's website, and finally emailed to [email protected] and will post any reply.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 05:23 PM

I did the same thing eleven years ago. Got married in Houston, flew to St. Maarten to start my new life with my husband and had tickets in my married name, yet had my maiden name on my passport. I had no problems at that time, and traveled the same way for the next several yeas....but things have really changed since 9/11.

Being that people get married all the time and don't think of changing their passport to their newly married name (technically you can't until you are legally wed) until after the honeymoon, I would think that having some sort of documentation of the union would prove sufficient. If possible, they should travel with a certified copy of the marriage liscense, or else pay to change her tickets to her married name in order to match her passport.

If it helps any, I go thru SXM airport all the time and in my experience it would only be upon exiting, rather than entering, that any sort of problem might occur. Worst case scenario....they have a longer honeymoon!

Good luck and congrats to them.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 06:53 PM

They're really strict now about having the passport/picture ID match the name on the ticket. Most brides I've known order honeymoon tickets with their maiden names. Expedia may not tranfer the ticket into her maiden name, but perhaps they'll allow it cancelled and rebooked for a few?
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 05:48 AM

I would bring the church certificate (like nypdret said) and also a wedding invitation.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 02:48 PM

AA should be able to change her name for $100. I don't know why Expedia can't do this..they really can..as much volume of AA that they sell! Call AA again and explain the situation...ask if you can't reissue for $100. This is why I hate online agencies.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 07:36 PM

Couldn't they just go down to the county courthouse (or wherever) and get the wedding license? Get legally married and then the bride can get a new passport before the ceremony.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Cassandra

Oh, mrwunrfl, you sentimental fool!

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 09:22 AM

You're son and his bride could be in for a very costly problem! The airline should (by TSA rules) deny boarding without positive ID - ID must match the name on the ticket. There also could be problems on Sint Marten (Dutch or French authorities). I can understand why someone might go to the internet to work on air fares for little trips here and there, but a honeymoon? Why wouldn't you use a professional at little or no cost to you for such an important trip? For $50 to me your son would not be having this problem and in fact, no member of your family would have to be worrying about it. I specialize in honeymoons and perhaps 6 out of 10 grooms have to be told that the bride can not travel on her "new name" until it is officially/legally her "new name"! Now, some free advice for you and your son - Expedia (which is afterall a "travel agency" except you do all the work and still pay them a small fee!) can go to American and ask for a "waiver" to make this name change. It should cost your son $100 to the airline plus whatever fee Expedia wishes to charge him. That is your best option here. The only other option is to buy a new ticket. The original ticket will be good for a year to use towards another ticket on American only - but it won't be "usable" until such time as your new daughter-in-law changes her driver's license or passport. Also, please have these two check with the Sint Marten tourist board (he can "google" it as he is "computer savvy") as to what identification they will need to enter that country.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 03:50 AM

Oh, ok, if you want to be practical then how about a straight name change now to what her name will be after the wedding, the one on the ticket?
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 08:02 AM

How soon after the wedding is the honeymoon? If it's a week or 2 after, the bride can get an expedited passport renewal in her married name but it will cost a lot.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 08:03 AM

I assume she and the groom do have passports, right?
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 09:49 AM

The OP mentioned in the original post that the couple are leaving "the day after the ceremony".
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 12:23 PM

I thought the suggestion by "mrwunrfl" go just go to the courthouse, or wherever ... was on-target .. sort of. How about they get married TODAY officially (as far as the government is concerned), get the new ID & passports moving, the have the ceremony later? I also agree with DCTravelAgent on the importance of using professionals for such an important occasion. A D-I-Y vacation is one thing, a honeymoon quite another.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 05:13 PM

Cassandra, let me take this one.

Oh, rb_travelerx, you sentimental fool!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Cassandra

;-)

Old Jun 19th, 2004, 01:17 PM

TSA replies to my inquiry:

Part of TSA's requirements are that air carriers request a valid form of identification from ticket holders. While an air carrier is required to request identification, the actual presentation of identification by the passenger is not absolutely required, and there is currently no prohibition against allowing someone on an aircraft without such identification. However, the absence of identification may result in having additional security measures taken against that person, in order to provide an adequate level of security protection.

Security requirements issued by the TSA establish a security minimum for adoption by air carriers and airports. Air carriers and airports may exceed those minimum standards by implementing more stringent security requirements. Refusal to allow a passenger without photo identification to board the aircraft is an example of such differences and is at the discretion of an individual air carrier.

The TSA currently does not require air carriers to request a valid form of identification from commercial airline ticket holders under the age of 18 and we have no plans to require this in the foreseeable future.

ID checks are part of the security measures TSA imposes to ensure that passengers will not endanger the flight. They are not intended to carry out other law enforcement functions, which are the purview of other agencies.

(I removed other "boilerplate" from the message)
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 02:43 PM

From the TSA's reply:
"While an air carrier is required to request identification, the actual presentation of identification by the passenger is not absolutely required, and there is currently no prohibition against allowing someone on an aircraft without such identification."

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Is this how TSA wants to improve security???

Andre

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information