Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Newark layover long enough to go into Manhattan??

Dec 2nd, 2006, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

I'm considering a schedule arriving at Newark at noon (Delta), departing for London at 9:45pm (Virgin).

If we take Liberty bus to Port Authority we could be in the city by 2pm. Catch the 5:30 back to Newark--time for a walk and nice lunch.

Here's the rub. We're changing tickets at EWR to take advantage of awards travel, which means collecting our suitcases in Newark. Could we check in with Virgin as early as 1pm? Or is there luggage storage at EWR or the PA terminal?

Even with bags, we'd still go into the city for lunch. Just wouldn't walk as much with suitcases in tow.
Dec 2nd, 2006, 07:56 AM

I wouldn't take the bus. Take the AirTrain and switch to NJTransit instead.

You can't check in that early with Virgin, but you can ask Delta to tag your bag through to London when you check-in for your original flight. They should be able to do it. Insist, and ask for a supervisor if possible.

There's no luggage storage at EWR, though there may be at New York Penn Station or Port Authority. I'm just not sure.

But to answer your question in your title. Yes, you have enough time.
Dec 4th, 2006, 09:52 AM

No luggage storage I know of at Penn Stn or Port Authority Terminal.
Dec 11th, 2006, 06:21 AM
santharamhari

Which airport is closest proximity to manhattan? JFK or EWR? I know JFK is more Queens.....

Dec 23rd, 2006, 03:30 PM

Both airports are actually about the same distance from Manhattan. If you are traveling by the Airtrain, you'll see no discernible difference in travel time ... perhaps a smidge faster from EWR. You go into and out of Penn Station if you take the Airtrain to either airport; the price is about the same but varies depending on peak or non-peak travel. But if you are coming in by bus, then EWR is usually faster (unless you get stuck at the Lincoln Tunnel, which can have considerable wait times during busy periods ... as in 30 minutes or more). EWR is much, much more expensive if you are coming in by taxi; JFK is always $45 (you may have to pay a tunnel toll of $4.50 and, of course, always a tip).

Again, if you are traveling by road (which I advise against, whether you are taking a taxi or bus), then you are at the mercy of traffic, and the back ups can be considerable from either JFK or EWR (or Laguardia for that matter).