New York to Athens - Delta or Continental?

Mar 8th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

New York to Athens - Delta or Continental?

I came close to booking Business Class on Delta for round-trip flights from NYC area to Athens, but I just couldn't justify the expense, even though I need my sleep! So, we're trying to compare economy class on Delta (from JFK) vs. Continental (out of Newark). DL flies A330-300 and CO flies 767-200. Seatguru.com shows little difference. CO is a little cheaper, too. If anyone has any experience flying this route in economy on either of these carriers, would you please comment?

Also, if we have a connecting flight to an island on the day of arrival in Athens - 2 hours after arrival from the USA - do you think we can make it through customs, etc., assuming the flight is on time?

Thank you!
Mar 8th, 2010, 07:38 AM

DL's A333 have better entertainment than CO's 762, and they give you one free drink. But otherwise difference is minimal. How much difference in the fare?
Mar 8th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

USD $70 each.

Also, DL arrives one hour before CO, allowing for a 3-hour buffer before the connecting flight.
Mar 8th, 2010, 10:55 AM

It's pretty much your choice.
Mar 8th, 2010, 11:28 AM

Beer and wine are complimentary on Delta in economy for the whole flight.
(Wally likes that!)
Mar 8th, 2010, 11:47 AM

they give you one free drink. But otherwise difference is minimal.

As noted by dutyfree, this has now changed. You have to pay for any hard booze, but all beer and wine are free. The wine is pretty bad, though.

Personally, I would say it is a toss-up. If it was the same price, then I would go with Delta, but the savings evens things out for Continental. I would say that the extra buffer time would decide it for me.
Mar 8th, 2010, 03:05 PM

How about British Airways Economy Plus? (too many fruit drinks on planes can be nasty for me)
Mar 8th, 2010, 03:42 PM

No, two hours is not enough time....

You need at least three on a connection like this!

Go with the time buffer, seats are uncomfortable on both of them!
Mar 8th, 2010, 05:32 PM

We did this trip last summer, flying into ATH out of JFK. We went with Continental and the flights were fine. Seemed to be one of their newer 767s. The two hours should be plenty of time to transfer assuming the arrival in ATH is mostly on time. Collect your bags, take an elevator upstairs and check in again. Lines moved quickly. Baggage collection was very fast in ATH in the morning. ATH is very easy to maneuver through. Yes, the Delta flt will get you there a bit earlier but I would still prefer CO. Have fun.
Mar 8th, 2010, 05:46 PM

You mean CO out of EWR.

All of CO's 767s are pretty new. All delivered between 2000 and 2002. But they all only have 20 video channels running on a loop, and not AVOD like on CO's 777, 757-200; and also not as advanced as DL's A330s.
Mar 9th, 2010, 03:56 AM

Yes, CO out of EWR. Frankly, I always think JFK when I think int'l flights from NYC. Habit and preference, though the takeoff delays at JFK for summer evening flts are generally awful. The year before on a ten p.m. flt out of JFK we were number 30 for takeoff, no joke. Doubtless because we pushed back from the gate more or less on time the flt showed on time departure.

Regarding the intra-Greece flight to an island, I'm sure you know already but, really aim for Aegean Air, and not Olympic as the better choice. However, I believe I have read the two carriers are trying to merge. If so, let's hope the combined carrier if more like the startup Aegean and not the old-timer Olympic.
Mar 9th, 2010, 04:13 AM

the takeoff delays at JFK for summer evening flts are generally awful.

They are just as bad out of EWR, which is usually in the top-5 most delayed airports in the country.
Mar 9th, 2010, 07:37 AM

One of JFK's main runway is currently closed for repaving. Won't reopen until June. Don't know if or how that'll affect the OP.
Mar 9th, 2010, 10:19 AM

Aegean Air is now Olympic ... or will be soon (they are merging, much to my dismay and keeping the Olympic name). Generally two hours is enough to change planes in Athens, but if there is a delay it might get short, but I've made this change three times with 2 hours and had time to spare. One time we almost didn't. Given the runway issues at JFK, I'd probably opt for the Continental flight, but only if it gives you three hours instead of two.
Mar 9th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! Delta gives us the three hours, and that's the one I'll go with. I have booked on Olympic, but may also protect myself on Aegean for a later flight.

"Alles Gut!"