New Orleans to NYC- Are these normal prices? Seem very high for off season

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been tracking flights from New Orleans to NYC (any airport) for over a month. The prices have me confused. We booked our hotel months ago for Feb. 8th -16, what we thought was a very "slow season" from what I have read. We feel like our hotel rates are great but the flight prices are crazy. Can anyone offer any insight?
These are direct flights for 5 people from New Orleans to NYC:
$291 - $330 for Delta
$466 - $643 for United
$714 - $ 938 for Jet Blue (this one is baffling to me. I have never heard of anyone paying this much and l have talked to friends that always use Jet Blue from New Orleans to NYC and they say this is crazy.)
We went to NYC at the end of May to June 2 in summer 2011 and pay about $210 with Delta.
Should I book the cheapest Delta flight now? Is there a chance any of these prices will go down? Thanks.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 05:06 PM

Most airlines have been cutting domestic capacity to keep supply low and fares high. No one is starting fare wars, at least not on a broad way. $300 is a very reasonable fare these days, and $200 roundtrips are gone. I'd book the DL fares now.

Jetblue has limited seats in the market and they just don't see any need to discount right now. They figure they will fill those seats with high paying business or last minute travelers.

Lots of people pay $1,000 for a domestic roundtrip each day. Business ones.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 05:08 PM

It looks to me like you are traveling around the time of Mardi Gras. So even if you aren't flying into NOLA, it stands to reason that lots of people are also going to be flying out, and thus the demand. Go to Kayak.com 's month view, and you can see this clearly. Also, part of the problem may be you are booking for 5 people, which may force your fare into a higher fare bucket. Note that Kayak offers a $241 "hacker" fare, with the outbound on US Airways, and return on Delta.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

I have heard of the "higher fare bucket" thing. I am wondering if I should book 2 at one time and 3 at another time, but back to back. Would that help to keep the prices a bit lower? We have 3 girls so I could put one adult with one girl and 1 adult with 2 girls.
yes, we are traveling because our girls are off for Mardi Gras week. We have lived here our entire lives and New York is not the place locals go for Mardi Gras week, especially since the weather is so cold. Also we are flying out on a Friday and letting our kids miss school one day so not the most popular day to fly out. It's a mystery I guess and one never knows why prices do what they do.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 06:57 PM

The $291 fares on DL are on their non-stops to LGA. That fact alone is worth at least $50. And the chance of those fares going MUCH lower is miniscule. I think that's very reasonable fares on non-stop. Sure, you may find other airlines or maybe Jetblue cutting their fares later on, so ask yourself how upset you'll be in if you find some $250 fares later on?

If you are the type that have to get the lowest fare and that $40 extra you're paying will kill your mood for vacation, then maybe you should wait. But of course, you may not get a $291 non-stop later...

As for airfares, it's pretty simple if you understand this. The airline is in the business to make as much money for its shareholders. They want to charge the most that travelers are willing to pay for that limited number of seats on a plane. They may shift capacity, and they may rather fly with some empty seats rather than discount, if that gives them higher OVERALL revenue on each flight. What a flight cost in June in 2011 has nothing to do with airfare in Feb 2013.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Also, why do you think Feb is low season? New York is a business destination first, tourist second. The NY airports are also important transit points for the NE and Europe.

February is not necessary a slow business period. You are also flying on Fridays - which also may have other business travelers returning from Louisiana to New York and other parts of the Northeast (or Europe).
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

I just booked our flights. Thanks for the advice.

The first reason was because we were able to get great rates at our hotel. Also, I read Jan. and Feb. is the slowest season in several travel guides. Also, I had asked on the NY board months ago and received replies like this:
You're smart to book something and then be able to relax. That's not a busy travel week, most of the New England schools are out a week or two later than that, so you don't have to book air tickets until maybe 30 days prior. Plenty of time to relax and think about it.
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 10:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
WorldGallery: "<i>You're smart to book something and then be able to relax. That's not a busy travel week, most of the New England schools are out a week or two later than that, so you don't have to book air tickets until maybe 30 days prior. Plenty of time to relax and think about it.</i>"

I'm willing to bet the farm that whoever posted that wasn't considering Mardi Gras and its impact on air travel to/from NO in the calculation.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 06:28 AM

Mardi Gras is February 12 ... smack dab in the middle of OP's dates. It may not be "high season" but it certainly is a very high week and thus high fares and lots of existing bookings.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 07:52 AM

Hardly matters if it's Madri Gras or not, $291 is a very reasonable fare. Checking matrix.itasoftware.com for 8 night non-stop MSY-NYC (any airport), lowest fare from now till the end of time is $266. With many Fridays fares into the $500 and $600s.

In fact, currently, lowest non-stop for 2/8-2/16 is $356, with the $291 fare gone already.