Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Make Passengers Whole Before Airline Bailouts!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2020, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As there is talk of wholesale bailouts for the Airline Industry by the Trump Administration, provisions must be in place that all ticketed passengers on cancelled flights are made whole with cash refunds before the Airline can be considered for a bailout. As it is, offers of no-fee rebooking for flights that must be completed by the end of 2020, and requiring payment of any difference of the re-booked fare, are just a total rip-off of paassengers who were ready to fly but the Airline chooses to cancel the flight. Please contact your US Rep and Senator and let them know how the Airlines need to be policed. I personally have $6,500 in two Business Class tickets on Delta for late May, Portland to Amsterdam. Not cancelled yet, but I see what they are doing to those on flights already cancelled.
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Finally Some Hope for Refunds

The link below is the first good news that I have seen in dealing with the airlines that think offering to re-schedule before the end of the year is equivalent to your original ticket purchase.
From The Points Guy: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/refun...ate=2020-03-26
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 10:28 AM

The bailout means that the airline will have the cash to give you the refund you are due if you flight(s) are cancelled by the airline. Without the bailout the airline could go out of business and you get no refund and no flight. The government is "policing" i.e regulating the airlinies.

You don't have to accept changes to your itinerary that are proposed by the airline.
]
I rescheduled an April ticket to August. I acted too soon. I was to fly LAX to Zurich to Graz. A week after rescheduling I saw that the Graz flight had been cancelled and that a new itinerary would have had me going from Zurich to Geneva and then to Graz arriving in Graz a day later than my original itinerary. I believe that I could have gotten a refund simply because of the change in arrival date, I think they cancelled the LAX flights since then.

I could see a change that Delta might offer is to put you oh a connecting flight itinerary instead of the nonstop. If that is not acceptable then call the airline before you accept the change, though that might not be enough for a refund.

Keep checking on policy and flight changes, and good luck.