What’s Hong Kong Airport like these days?

Old Mar 10th, 2020, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

What’s Hong Kong Airport like these days?

We are scheduled to travel 4 weeks from now on CathayPacific YYZ-HKG-PER with several hours layover in HKG. Neither Canada, Australia, or , interestingly, Hong Kong seem to be on any official corona virus ‘do not travel' list (though of course that could change anytime) so I am primarily concerned with wether we would be able to maintain ‘social distancing’ along with sufficient preventative hygiene. We are seniors, and although we are in very good health and in ordinary circumstances would have no worries about making the trip, we do have to take into account that at least statistically, we are vulnerable.

Our outbound flights are business class--first ever, on points--and today the seat selection chart for both legs of the trip show the business cabin almost empty, so no worries about anyone within a few few feet coughing on us. However we do wonder about lineups at security and elsewhere in the airport. Once in Oz we will be staying with family and can limit our activities as we see fit.

Things will be evolving in the coming weeks for sure, but I do want to be mentally prepared for what might be a difficult choice. Your thoughts are welcome.
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 04:47 AM

We passed through Hong Kong airport exactly 4 weeks ago-February 29 en route back to Canada. It was a Saturday evening. You could have shot a cannon through the airport. There was no one there. Shops were open with many sales, but no travelers. The flight to Canada was no where near full. It was a similar scenario in Bangkok .

In retrospect, we returned home just in time to avoid the major disruptions and shutdowns that have subsequently occurred.