Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa/Austrian Air Upgrades for Fee at Gate

Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize I asked about this as part of a post on First Class Upgrades but thought I'd give it its own post.

What are the chances of upgrading--for a fee--on either Lufthansa or Austrian Airlines at the gate or at check-in. How does one go about this? What can I expect it to cost. Thanks.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 04:13 PM

I think you are more likely to get answers by looking at the Lufthansa forum on Flyertalk. They would almost certainly have a greater concentration of people with Lufthansa experience there.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 05:04 PM

Not all planes on international routes still have first-class sections--just FYI.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Make that business/first...
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:09 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
A few years ago I lived in Kuwait and frequently flew to Frankfurt on Lufthansa - at check in they routinely offered upgrades from Economy to Business Class for about US $150 and upgrades to First class for quite a bit more (can't remember the cost for First, as I only upgraded to Business). This was a busy route and I suspect they routinely overbooked Economy, then tried to sell the extra Business seats at the last minute. Whatever the reason, it was a good deal and I took advantage of it at every opportunity.

Once I tried to upgrade at check in on Lufthansa from Frankfurt to Chicago and even though they had plenty of Business Class seats, they looked at me like I was nuts.

Sooooo, I guess sometimes you can and sometimes you can't, but it never hurts to ask.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. As you suggested, I tried posting on FlyerTalk. I was told no way on Lufthansa but that I might have a shot on Austrian Airlines. That said, I know of two people who were upgraded for free on Lufthansa: 1)A neighbor of mine asked for an upgrade for her small dog when she checked in. They gave it to her. She and the pup flew business clas to Munich. 2) Another couple I know were upgraded because it was her birthday. Who know!!! Right place. Right time. Right agent...
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 05:25 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Forgot to mention that Lufthansa once upgraded me from Business to First (no charge) from Frankfurt to Chicago, so yes, anything is possible.