London Heathrow Layover with Child

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Heathrow Layover with Child

I will have a long layover in London Heathrow airport, about 5 hours, and wanted to know if we can leave the airport for a quick, quick tour of London. Is security such a hassel to do that? Is anything close by to see? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 09:30 PM
yk

Hi delight-

Whether 5 hours is a long layover depends on where you are flying in from, and where you are flying out to. If one of them is the US, then you probably won't have enough time to head out to London.

Flying into LHR from the US usually means a long line through immigration. Whereas flying from LHR to the US means a long line through security.

The fastest way to get to London is via Heathrow Express train. It runs every 15mins and takes 15mins. However, it drops you off at Paddington Station, which isn't too close to any famous sights. If you want to head out to Big Ben, that involves taking the tube, which itself can easily take another 15mins or so.

There are plenty of shops inside Heathrow to browse at, which I would suggest you to do instead.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. It's just that we've never been to London (or anywhere in the UK before) and this might be our only opportunity for a while to see even the major sights. We'll probably give it a try, and see what the airlines say upon our arrival there. Thanks again!
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 08:01 AM

I've been through Heathrow several times in the last year, and I think you would be hardpressed to get to the city and back in only 5 hours.

If you are travelling in business or first class and have no carryon baggage to drag around with you, you MIGHT be able to squeeze it in, because you'll be off the plane first, can use the special "blue lanes" for these passengers, which are faster and shorter, and will have shorter lines/ better service when you come back to check in for your flight. But even in this case, I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a 5 hour layover.

If you are in coach, it is close to impossible. (A before you try to "take a chance", read the thread about what happened to someone who missed their connecting flight in Heathrow and was forced to buy a new ticket to take a later flight!)
Here is the situation:
1) Heathrow is a big airport...by the time you get off the plane, walk the long way to the immigration hall, get through immigration (lines move, but they can be very long) then walk to the subway, you have eaten up AT LEAST 1 hour...more if you are at the back of the plane. (Could take 15 minutes just to get off the plane.) I'd allow more like 1.5 hours.

If you have a large carryon bag you'll either have to drag it around with you or check it at a "Left Luggage" booth...this will take at least another 15 minutes and costs about $10 per bag.

The train to Paddington leaves every 15 minutes. It is fast, but then you have to transfer to other tube lines to get where you'll see some sights...So this trip will take a minimum of 45 minutes...perhaps more like 1 hours. So now you've eaten up at least 2 hours and you haven't seen anything!

Since you have to allow a MINIMUM of 1 hour for your return trip to the airport (personally, I'd allow more) and you should be at the airport 2 hours before your flight

Since you really should be at the airport 2 hours before your flight, it is now time to turn around an go BACK to the airport!

Honestly, with the additional security precautions going on, on top of Heathrows normal crowds and lines (security lines might be even worse given the new fears after Spain). I've seen some really monster lines at Heathrow for security...
I just don't think this is a viable option...especially if you don't know your way around Heathrow, the tube and London...

If you REALLY want to do it, see if you can arrange a longer layover on this flight, or (more likely) on your return flight through Heathrow.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 08:26 AM

I think that is too tight. You can usually get through customs fairly quickly and security going back (this can be very questionable if there is a security alert) but you would have to know exactly where to go on your way back. The tube would be the only recommended way to get to the sights and keep in mind that the tube can have delays from time to time. We go to and through London quite often. We would not go to London on a 5 hr stopover. Try and stay a day or get a longer layover. Shopping is fairly good at Heathrow but watch the duty free pricing-it is often higher than US retail. The Harrods store is very overpriced for items like fine sweaters-same product is less in the US and Canada. If you get off the plane and have 5 hours net you will spend 2 hours back and forth on the tube (riding plus finding/ticketing), 1 1/2 hours to be back for security etc which leaves you with 1 1/2 hours. Not much time unless you know exactly where you are going and what you want to see. Don't miss than connection-especially if it is booked on a completely seperate itinerary/airline.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 03:56 PM
P_M

Sorry delight, but you really don't have enough time. You will barely get into the city and see anything when it will be time to come back, and you are taking a huge chance on missing your next plane. Our fellow Fodorites are absolutely correct. Stick around the airport.