London Heathrow 5 Hour Layover

Old Apr 15th, 2022, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Heathrow 5 Hour Layover

My husband and I are flying to Ljubliana via LHR, and well have a 5 hour layover (when I booked the tickets it was a shorter layover, but British Airways has changed our connecting flight time). It looks like well land at Terminal 5 and depart from Terminal 3.

Id like to book a room at a hotel at the airport so we can get a couple of hours of sleep in between flights. Is this feasible? If so, what would the best option be? The Sofitel at Terminal 5, then shuttle to Terminal 3? Or a hotel at Terminal 3?

Any advice or thoughts you have are welcome.
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might find this useful: https://www.sleepinginairports.net/s...ow-airport.htm

By the time you have made it through immigration, changed terminals and allowed time for checking in, a couple of hours is likely literally all the time you will have. I might settle for lounge access with a shower and some food. Note that there don't seem to be hotel rooms airside, so you have to add time for clearing security.
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 10:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
As thursdaysd says - you may not have enough time to actually use a day room. A day pass to a Lounge (if you don't already have access) might be a better use of time and money since day rooms on LHR property tend to be pricey. In either case, I'd transfer to T-3 and visit a Lounge there or book the Aerotel (in T-3) or Hiltion Gardin Inn (next to T-2 but walkable to T-3)
Old Apr 17th, 2022, 12:14 PM

You don’t say when you are flying but the news in the UK has been full of the massive delays, flight cancellations etc. in the run up to the bank Holiday weekend. due to a combination high covid infection cases and general manpower shortages. These delays are expected to continue throughout the summer. Booking a hotel would seem pointless as you most likely need most of that time to process immigration, check in and terminal transfers. If you do manage to get to T3 with an hour or two to spare, I w Ould just pay for a lounge on the spot.
Old Apr 18th, 2022, 03:31 PM

Yet, in an effort to cut down on crowding, some lounges are limiting entry and simply not selling day passes. Check to see that you'd be allowed to purchase access if you're not a member already.
Old Apr 19th, 2022, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crellston View Post
You dont say when you are flying but the news in the UK has been full of the massive delays, flight cancellations etc. in the run up to the bank Holiday weekend. due to a combination high covid infection cases and general manpower shortages. These delays are expected to continue throughout the summer. Booking a hotel would seem pointless as you most likely need most of that time to process immigration, check in and terminal transfers. If you do manage to get to T3 with an hour or two to spare, I w Ould just pay for a lounge on the spot.
We are traveling on August 25, 2022.
Old Apr 19th, 2022, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thursdaysd View Post
You might find this useful: https://www.sleepinginairports.net/s...ow-airport.htm

By the time you have made it through immigration, changed terminals and allowed time for checking in, a couple of hours is likely literally all the time you will have. I might settle for lounge access with a shower and some food. Note that there don't seem to be hotel rooms airside, so you have to add time for clearing security.
Thank you for the link and thoughts on our timeline. I booked us the No 1 Lounge at Terminal 3. Right now the sleep pods arent available, but maybe they will by August.
Old May 15th, 2022, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Update: now our layover is 10 hours, so I canceled the No. 1 Lounge and booked the Aerotel at Terminal 3 for us to get some sleep and clean up in between flights.