LAX - getting from Airport to Amtrak

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Coming to the US in November/ December. We will be arriving from Au at 9:30am and I am wanting to book a ticket on Amtrak down to San Diego leaving at 12:30pm. Is this enough time?

Also, how do I get from the airport to Amtrak? Is it close?

Thanks
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 06:13 AM

Should be no problem. Just hop on the FlyAway bus ($7.00 pp, runs every 30 minutes) to the Union Station. It takes 30 to 45 minutes depending on traffic. You should be able to catch the 12:30 train. If by any chance the flight is delayed or you spend an unusual amount of time retrieving your luggage, going through Passport Control and Customs, the next train is at 3:00 pm. No need to book tickets in advance on Amtrak, there is no discount for advance bookings. The cost is $37.00 unless you are a senior, then you'll get a discount. I live in San Diego, enjoy my beautiful city.
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 03:54 PM

Fly Away is super easy..Just ask where to catch it. Union Station has been returned to its former glory and worth a lingering look after you get into the city.
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 04:14 PM

Unless things have changed, the signs outside arrivals are quite clear, with different color codes for different ground transport options.

Also, sit in front and get off bus quickly to rush to the ticket booth after arriving before other passengers and getting your bags, since credit card payments can be slow, and it'd be a long wait if you stand behind 20 other credit card payers.
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips guys. Sure hope we catch the 12:30 to be at rele's place in time for Thanksgiving dinner!!!

Treesa, I most certainly DO love your city! We come over to the USA each year (close family there) and our first stop is always SD with my SIL. This however is the first time I will be catching the Amtrak down. I LOVE San Diego - so far it's my fav city in the USA! Plus it's the only place that smells like home (all the Aussie trees!!!)

Cheers!